Home Open Account Help 244 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Passenger trains on the IC&E

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

Date: 07/05/15 10:01
Passenger trains on the IC&E
Author: mosteam3985

I'm working on the design for a layout based on The IC&E between Kansas City and St. Paul, MN.

Does anyone know if any passenger trains ever ran on this route maybe as detours or something? I'd like to do something Amtrak related for kicks but if they never ran on this line than it is kind of a waste of time I guess.

Thanks for any help.

MB

Date: 07/05/15 11:03
Re: Passenger trains on the IC&E
Author: unclebob

I thought UP ran an engineering passenger train down the ICE in the last year?  Some sort of inspection trip or something, and I believe I saw photos of it here on TO.

Think this was it:  http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?1,3518723,3519490#msg-3519490

MCB

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/05/15 11:06 by unclebob.

Date: 07/05/15 11:12
Author: wpjones

the 261 ran atleast one trip that way from KC several years ago. We were following a brush cutter and hit a tree that chose not to fall until we got close.
Steve 

Date: 07/05/15 11:45
Author: robj

A private car train at Bellevue, Iowa, some of the cars later at Leaf River Illinois.  Camera data says 2005 but was 2007???

I tried to do some quick research but maybe some else has info.

This was a secondary line so even going back to Milwaukee road times most of any passenger service was connection trains.
North of La Crescent was CP before ICE take over.

Bob Jordan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/05/15 12:48 by robj.

Date: 07/05/15 11:56

Wow this is more interesting than I thought! Thanks for the replies, guys!
-MB

Date: 07/05/15 13:37
Author: dan

train of the DME pv's probably too

Date: 07/05/15 15:50
Author: pyroman

ICE used to run a Fall Special first weekend in October out of Marquette north to La Crescent and back.  And as mentioned the 261 has used the line a number of time includiung the 2004 Grand Excursion.

Date: 07/05/15 15:52
Author: oyw

Here's an ICE shippers special westbound between Davenport and Muscatine near Montpelier, Iowa taken on October 19, 2008.

Date: 07/05/15 16:43
Author: fwwr5007

The KCS biz train rode over part if the old ICE in the last few years too.

It's your layout -- just say there was an Amtrak weather detour or something. Do it if you really want to!

Posted from iPhone

Date: 07/05/15 19:44
Author: AndyBrown

Here's one of the Train Festival excursions at Muscatine in July 2011.

Andy

Date: 07/05/15 19:59

Wow! So much great info here, thanks guys! Lots of options. I sure would love to have an excuse to buy one of Broadway's announced 261's....maybe this is that opportunity.

-MB

Date: 07/05/15 20:25

Here's the UP business train at Cotter and Heinz.

As far as regular Amtrak detours, I just read recently that the Cal. Zephyr detoured between Ottumwa and KC on the ICE in the past but I can't remember where I read it.

Andy

Date: 07/05/15 20:28

Here's the ICE business train at Muscatine Oct. 12, 2010.

Date: 07/05/15 20:33

Great shots, Andy thanks!

-MB

Date: 07/05/15 20:35

Here's one of the really good ones; the KCS business train in Oct. 2009.  Here at Rutledge, IA River bridge Fredonia, and Muscatine.

Andy

Date: 07/05/15 20:38

261 has been to KC with a passenger train 2 or 3 times.  The MRL business train covered the line in IMRL days too.

Andy

Date: 07/05/15 20:47

Wow, those F's are gorgeous. Even in the misty grey of the day they really stand out. Great stuff!

-MB

Date: 07/06/15 05:09
Author: trainboy03

Everytime I see pictures of the KCS F's on the ICE, I still kick myself for not making the effort to see them.  If I only delayed that camping trip to Wisconsin by one day...

Really nice stuff from everybody.  In additon here are a couple other passenger moves: 

KCS business train was run up to Canada for the Olympics, but with a CP GE pulling the cars from KC to Canada via St Paul. 
The UP ran another business train in the late 1990's with a CNW GE pulling UP business cars from KC to Clinton or Chicago (originally supposed to run with UP 6936). 
The IAIS QJ's ran a double-headed excursion from Davenport to Muscatine in 2006. 
Several IMRL business train moves with MRL 390 and 3 MRL business cars
Several ICE business trains/fall color employee trips with an ICE GP40 and the 3 DME business cars.
While not strictly passenger, the CP Holiday Train has visited the northern portion of the ex-ICE from Chicago down to Muscatine and back north to Marquette and Mason City.

Erik

Date: 07/06/15 06:32
Author: howeld

To add to previous post about IAIS QJs running to Muscatine, the train continued down to Fruitland to turn the train.
A buddy and I kinda stowed away on that excursion by mistake. We were given tickets for the train that day by a friend who couldn't use them. We thought the tickets were for the train out of Davenport that morning with the Riverboat cruse return so we arrived in Davenport and boarded the train. We enjoyed the train excursion down to Muscatine. Durning the ride we noticed our tickets had Fruitland written on them in pen and learned that the our tickets were for a short trip between Muscatine and Fruitland. So here we were arriving in Muscatine trying think of what to do. If we stay on the train we wont have a ride back to Davenport so we decide to stay with rest of passengers to get off and wait on the riverboat. When it came time to board they were checking names off list as people boarded. Obviously our names were not on the list but as we got near the front of the line to check names (hoping we can explain our issue and beg our way on) a thunderstorm blew up and they waved everyone on the boat just by showing ticket. With great relief we boarded the riverboat and sat down to dinner. I actually enjoyed the riverboat more than the train!

Posted from iPhone

Date: 07/06/15 07:03
Author: bnsfsd70

On its loooooonnng trip to/from various Kansas and Oklahoma WATCO properties, the WSOR 101 and associated Wisconsin & Southern business train took the old I&M Rail Link from KC to the Quad Cities, at least.  The shot above is from Kansas City Union Station in 2013, after having pulled off of the ICE a few miles to the northeast of here.

- Jeff Carlson

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/06/15 07:09 by bnsfsd70.

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0599 seconds