Home Open Account Help 220 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > BIG UP freight heading east from Utah on the Overland Route...

Date: 04/26/16 16:36
BIG UP freight heading east from Utah on the Overland Route...
Author: ShastaDaylight

To all on TO,

I was at Union Pacific's North Yard here in Salt Lake City this morning when a long manifest train arrived in town at 11:10 AM. On the point was UP 6601 (leading) and UP 6641 followed by 61 cars, UP 6437 running as mid-train DPU followed by 87 cars and "FRED" (149 cars total). I had to return to my office not long after it arrived, but a couple of hours later when I returned it was still there. The train added 56 cars to the head end at the north (east) end of North Yard, and did not finally depart until 4:10 PM (all MDT). I have noticed that when the economy heads south UP runs longer and longer trains using DPU technology to save on crews, fuel, etc., and this 205 car manifest train was the longest non-intermodal train I have seen since the "Great Recession" years of 2008 to early 2012.

I am assuming this train originated probably at West Colton and is en route to North Platte. I cannot imagine UP running a train that long north out of Salt Lake City and Ogden to McCammon and Pocatello, but I guess anything is possible... If anyone out there has a symbol, length (in feet) and tons, etc., I would love to know and I am sure others on TO would as well...

Thanks in advance for your help and information!

ShastaDaylight 

Date: 04/26/16 17:06
Re: BIG UP freight heading east from Utah on the Overland Route..
Author: Coalca

205 car manifest eh. Crews probably hate it, but as a fan I enjoy seeing em stretch on forever like that. 

Date: 04/26/16 17:13
Author: goneon66

thanks for the info on this train..........

Date: 04/26/16 17:43
Author: portlander

MWCNPW-24

54 loads
149 Empties
12,425 Tons
13.439 Feet

Date: 04/26/16 18:07
Author: mpaul101

In the past few years I have watched this train (MWCNP) it's quite common for it to near 200 cars - especially out of Salt Lake.

Date: 04/26/16 18:12
Author: Bob3985

And when this train and other long trains arrive at Cheyenne they have to recrew out at the Tower A crossovers so they don't block Southwest Drive too long.

Bob Krieger
Cheyenne, WY

Date: 04/26/16 18:16
Author: ShastaDaylight

Thanks to all for the info! It was quite a train to see and it is amazing how fast in accellerated on the slight upgrade out of North Yard. (I wouldn't want to be stuck on a train behind it though...)

ShastaDaylight

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.044 seconds