Home Open Account Help 256 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > KP Chase for the Veterans

Date: 11/11/16 18:11
KP Chase for the Veterans
Author: mg8711

Last Tuesday (11/1) after work, I encountered UP's local turn between Topeka and Junction City, KS, as it rolled through my town of residence, Manhattan. With a healthy cut of military tanks out of Fort Riley on the rear, I figured it would be worthwhile to chase the train for a little bit, with no regards to the moody skies above. I've always thought moody weather in November is fitting, a sign that with thanks to our Veterans, America charges on, no matter the storm we encounter.

1-2) UP train MTPTP-01 is eastbound at Belvue, KS with UP 4458 having the honors.

3) I beat the short train east to St. Marys, where it would hold the main for a short while, but first, it's passing the Nemaha County Coop elevator in town.

Date: 11/11/16 18:11
Re: KP Chase for the Veterans

4) The stop at St. Marys had me thinking a meet was in order, so I went to Bailey Road west of Rossville. The UP threw me a curve ball and the MTPTP continued east. Here it is under moody skies.

5) Silhouetted against the moody skies, the last of 22 tanks puts the period on this edition of the MTPTP.

All shots taken November 1st, 2016
Thanks for serving!
mg8711

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/11/16 18:15 by mg8711.

Date: 11/11/16 20:51
Author: PHall

Those are NOT "tanks". Those are M-88A2 Armored Recovery Vehicles. Basically tank tow trucks.

Date: 11/11/16 20:59

PHall Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Those are NOT "tanks". Those are M-88A2 Armored
> Recovery Vehicles. Basically tank tow trucks.

I appreciate the correction. I know absolutely nothing about this sort of thing.
mg8711

Date: 11/12/16 07:03
Author: SP8595

Great shots of a neat looking local Lucas!

Date: 11/12/16 07:26
Author: santafe199

Good morning! I woke up and did a routine inspection of the usual TO forums and found your nifty little chase. Shot #4 is absolute killer, typical of Kansas spur-of-the-moment weather. And don't worry about so grievously flunking that hyper-critical, down-to-the-last-rivet military vehicle identification test. It looks like some kind of tank to me as well as probably 95% of the rest of the RAILFANS here on TO... ;^)

Lance/199

Date: 11/12/16 17:11
Author: dancollins3

Please do not worry about the shots as I enjoyed them!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0459 seconds