Home Open Account Help 266 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Ludlow massacre Sunday

Date: 01/11/17 14:01
Ludlow massacre Sunday
Author: SD45X

High winds in southern Colorado knocked 60-70 stored coal cars over Sunday evening. Couple trains detoured Trinidad to Lajunta via Raton sub then to Pueblo.

Date: 01/11/17 14:38
Re: Ludlow massacre Sunday
Author: bmarti7

You know there are many TO members who don't know about the orginal Ludlow Massacre.

Date: 01/11/17 14:39
Author: OregonOldGuy

Now that is what we Coloradoans call the "scenic route"!

Rob

Date: 01/11/17 15:34
Author: TopCat

bmarti7 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> You know there are many TO members who don't know
> about the orginal Ludlow Massacre.

And there is more than one Ludlow.  I was thinking 60 MPH winds in the Mojave Desert of California, which I've been witness to on more than one occasion.

TopCat

Date: 01/11/17 15:46
Author: mapboy

TopCat Wrote:
> And there is more than one Ludlow.  I was
> thinking 60 MPH winds in the Mojave Desert of
> California, which I've been witness to on more
> than one occasion.
> TopCat

Ludlow massacre sounds to me like what happens on a busy Sunday when everyone returning from gambling mecca Laughlin tries to squeeze into the isolated Dairy Queen at Ludlow, CA!

mapboy

Date: 01/11/17 16:42
Author: MojaveBill

We in Mojave have been witness to 100-plus winds from time to time...

Bill Deaver
Tehachapi, CA

Date: 01/11/17 17:32
Author: callum_out

Went through Ludlow CO a month ago, the blowover would have been the big news for the year!

Out

Date: 01/11/17 17:43
Author: cchan006

SD45X Wrote:
> High winds in southern Colorado knocked 60-70
> stored coal cars over Sunday evening. Couple
> trains detoured Trinidad to Lajunta via Raton sub
> then to Pueblo.

Your title screams "back to basics."  No need for me to fumble around for a decoder ring. I'll do my best not to repeat history (and be doomed). Thanks for the cryptic entertainment and a history lesson.

Date: 01/12/17 01:54
Author: DNRY122

The real Ludlow Massacre was no laughing matter--look it up.  All I had to do was enter "Ludlow" in the search box on my AOL display, and it came up with several possibilties--one of them was the Ludlow Massacre of April 20, 1914.  It was the result of a coal miners' strike at the Colorado Fuel & Iron mine in Ludlow CO.  At least 66 men, women and children died when National Guard troops and company guards attacked the striking miners and burned their encampment.  It's considered one of the darkest episodes in American labor history.

Date: 01/12/17 10:54
Author: railstiesballast

Thank you for the background story, we may think times are tough now but compared to several eras in our history these are good times.
If the cars are only "tipped over" I would expect that they have not been destroyed, however in today's coal market if they are old their scrap value may exceed their future earning potential.
From miner's strikes to scrapping RR equipment, it is all about the money isn't it.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0481 seconds