Home Open Account Help 334 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Sharing the Love of Trains, Tehachapi Style

Date: 03/19/17 21:51
Sharing the Love of Trains, Tehachapi Style
Author: SCUfoamer

This weekend, I took my girlfriend of four years to Tehachapi Pass. For almost four years, Jess has put up with my randomly bolting out of the house with my camera bag to shoot a train. "Be back in an hour or so!" Anyways, I planned a three day weekend in the pass shooting trains and exploring in the family Jeep. We left San Jose, Ca on Thursday afternoon with our Pitbull mix Bitsite in tow. At first she was terrified by the trains, but by the end of the trip with was numb to the thunder. We traveled over 800 miles by Jeep and covered 14 miles by foot, Maybe maybe not tresspassing. I thought it would be fun to share our setup and some great photos to add to the album. More foamer photos to come!

1. After a fantastic lunch at Kohnen's Bakery and some shopping in downtown Tehachapi, we headed to Monolith to hopefully catch a westbound to chase. About 30 minutes later, a short but heavy BNSF coil trains approaches Monolith. Bitsie and Jess enjoy as it cruises by.

2. On a mild Spring afternoon, Jess watches A BNSF manifest glide down the hill at Bealville.

3. Bitsie enjoys the last rays of sunshine on a March afternoon at Bealville 

Date: 03/19/17 22:02
Re: Sharing the Love of Trains, Tehachapi Style
Author: wa4umr

I had a Miniature Schnauzer that was my train chasing buddy after my wife died.  I lost him also.  I'd love to have another like him but for medical reasons, the doctor recommends I not have any animals.  

Just remember, if you lock your dog and your girlfriend in the trunk of your car and then let them out after about 30 minutes, only one of them is going to be glad to see you.

BTW, nice picture.

John

Date: 03/19/17 23:13
Author: bearease

I think I saw you guys (hammock and all) on the hill at Bealville Friday afternoon. I pulled up in a silver Tacoma at the foot of the hill to shoot a UP Westbound, then took off for Tunnel 3. Hope I didn't ruin your shot of that UP manifest!
I was just about to post my pix when I saw your thread.
Looking forward to seeing more from your trip. Sure was a nice weekend to be trackside!

Date: 03/20/17 01:09
Author: jmf1910

Great shots and write-up, dude! I love the creative angles, especially your how you composed your second shot.

It's not often that the "human" side of railfanning is highlighted. It's great when you can bring along your significant other and dog for a trip and have them be included as well. I'm looking forward to seeing the rest of your shots from the trip!

John

Date: 03/20/17 10:13
Author: SantaFeRuss

SCUfoamer, I like your "chilled out" shots of your lady and the trains. The pooch looks like he's also feeling the trains too. It's all good railfanning in the Jeep, as you know, "it's a Jeep thing"! You guys are just "chill"!

SantaFeRuss

Posted from Android

Date: 03/20/17 13:46
Author: jmbreitigan

The Hammock's are a great idea. Trouble is that I would fall asleep and miss the approaching train.
John

Date: 03/20/17 22:21
Author: NorCalAdam

Cool shots!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0508 seconds