Home Open Account Help 307 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > What is a SD40N?

Date: 03/20/17 10:40
What is a SD40N?
Author: b39-8

I caught this old classic picking up loaded lumber cars from Sierra Pacific Industries at Quincy Junction along the Feather River Route.  At first I thought it was just a regular old SD40-2, but it turns out it is now a SD40N. So my question is, what is the difference between a SD40-2 and a SD40N?

(By the way, the third picture is a shot of the train gathering a set of 6 cars from the spur.  The cut of cars on the left are left out on the main line while the loco's do the work.  The empty cars on the right are left out for Sierra Pacific on their short line.

-Damien-

Date: 03/20/17 10:45
Re: What is a SD40N?
Author: NKPBernet

From UtahRails.net:

Beginning with the completion of UP 1550 on May 4, 2010, Union Pacific began modifying its refurbished SD40-2 locomotives with an updated and modern control system known as NEXSYS, supplied by ZTR Control Systems. each locomotive was given a formal completion date, retaining its original SD40-2 model desigation. The modification program continued from early May 2010 through early July 2011. At that time, with the completion of UP 1629 on July 8, 2011, UP began using a new model designation: SD40N, denoting the railroad's "SD40-2 Modernization Program."In addition to receiving reconditioned components (main generator, traction motors, air compressor, air brake equipment, etc.) the SD40N units are receiving SmartStart systems, also from ZTR. The rebuild also includes refurbished cabs with new doors and seals, air conditioning, Positive Train Control capability, and completely rewired electrical cabinets. A major part of the rebuild is the installation of remanufactured engines with all applicable modifications to comply with federal government CFR Part 1033 emissions standards.UP 1613 was completed with the NEXSYS system and was renumbered from UP 3372 on July 5, 2011, but carried the earlier SD40-2 designation, with a note that it was part of the modernization program. After the SD40N model designation was adopted in early July 2011, all previous units completed as part of the modernization program, going back to the first one, UP 1550, completed on May 4, 2010, were re-designated as SD40N units.The 'N' part of the designation comes from UP's use of the NEXSYS control system from ZTR Control Systems, replacing the older Dash 2 component cards and control systems (ZTR web site).As of early 2015, the number series for the SD40N units are UP 1550-1782. Also, many of the units in UP 1800 and 1900 series are designated as SD40N. Other units in the 1800 and 1900 series have been renumbered pending actual rebuild, and are labeled as SD40-2. This is to clear their 3000-series numbers for use by UP's 8000-8308 class SD9043MACs, which in turn are being renumbered to clear their 8000-series numbers for use by new GE units.

Hope this helps

-Dave

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/20/17 10:46 by dbesade.

Date: 03/20/17 11:12
Author: rdlehmer

They started assigning a SD40N to East Oakland to replace 2 GP40-2's or GP60's used on the ethanol shuttle from East Oakland to Richmond and I saw 1634 handling 34 loads eastbound through Berkeley last night, long hood forward. A single, almost 40 year old (!) SD40-2 on a hauling job sounded great!

Ron

Date: 03/20/17 11:22
Author: jmf1910

rdlehmer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> They started assigning a SD40N to East Oakland to
> replace 2 GP40-2's or GP60's used on the ethanol
> shuttle from East Oakland to Richmond and I saw
> 1634 handling 34 loads eastbound through Berkeley
> last night, long hood forward. A single, almost 40
> year old (!) SD40-2 on a hauling job sounded
> great!
>
> Ron

Ah, I had wondered why an SD40N started appearing in the yard. There aren't too many in use in the Bay Area. Thanks for the info!

Date: 03/20/17 14:23
Author: wharfrat

There are not to many used in the Bay Area because most of the Locals are restricted from six axle units.

Date: 03/20/17 17:04
Author: DonnerPass08

I caught UP1690 a couple times within the last month.
1.  EB manifest over Donner near Soda Springs.
2.  WB local in Rocklin.

Date: 03/20/17 17:35
Author: jimbobjnr

Caught this in Sidney, NE yesterday.  Really like the mini wings on the nose.

Date: 03/20/17 18:16
Author: GrandeGold

Back on May 13, 2012, ago the 1690 was assigned to work the 'Dirt Train' local out of Helper, Utah.

James Belmont
Salt Lake City, UT

Date: 03/20/17 19:39
Author: MW810

Inside they are still Sd40's. The UP rebuilds look weak compared to the CSX ones that have been done.

The CSX ones look factory new with computer screens, new control stands, etc.

Paint shop sprays everything and looks like kids from first year shop class masked it up.

It's great they are rebuilt and continue to live on (as they have stated they are getting rid of almost all low powered engines) - but something more substantial and creature comforts and controls would be nice

Posted from iPhone

Date: 03/20/17 20:52
Author: PHall

MW810 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Inside they are still Sd40's. The UP rebuilds look
> weak compared to the CSX ones that have been
> done.
>
> The CSX ones look factory new with computer
> screens, new control stands, etc.
>
> Paint shop sprays everything and looks like kids
> from first year shop class masked it up.
>
> It's great they are rebuilt and continue to live
> on (as they have stated they are getting rid of
> almost all low powered engines) - but something
> more substantial and creature comforts and
> controls would be nice
>
> Posted from iPhone

From what I have been told, the crews prefer the standard AAR control stands. They're simple and they don't break!

Date: 03/21/17 09:32
Author: coach

40 years old and still kickin' butt!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0547 seconds