Home Open Account Help 292 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > CORP Operations??

Date: 04/23/17 15:26
CORP Operations??
Author: OregonOldGuy

Can anyone update what the current operating days and times are north from Medford to Eugene, OR. Was down there recently and only heard one train go through at night and did catch a local at Grants Pass on Friday.

TIA,

Rob

Date: 04/23/17 15:31
Re: CORP Operations??
Author: J.Ferris

OregonOldGuy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Can anyone update what the current operating days
> and times are north from Medford to Eugene, OR.
> Was down there recently and only heard one train
> go through at night and did catch a local at
> Grants Pass on Friday.
>
> TIA,
>
> Rob

Rob my understanding is that the train to Eugene runs from Winchester. What time did you see the local in Grants Pass? How many units and how big or a train? When I and some others were up that way on a weekend day there was only one unit at Winchester and nothing at Grants Pass.

J.

Date: 04/23/17 19:08
Author: TCnR

Friday night the park a train on the main at Riddle and go home.

Curious what happens and when between Medford and 'Winchester'?

Date: 04/23/17 22:04
Author: JDLX

Should also add that trains north of Winchester are almost always powered by UP locomotives. UP has arrangements with both CORP and PNWR under which they interchange entire trains to each road in the Eugene yard, locomotives and all, CORP takes its train south to Winchester and then returns the UP power with its outbound train back to Eugene. PNWR does something similar, but last I knew they had trackage rights on the UP main north to Albany. Both of these trains ultimately work to and from Roseville. My understanding is that Winchester to Medford is mostly night operations, but that could be wrong.

Jeff Moore
Elko, NV

Date: 04/24/17 10:03
Author: CBRL

Yes, the PNWR runs a train from Eugene to Albany with UP power on the UP mainline called the "WP Hauler". PNWR also runs its own train to Albany on its mainline called the "Albany Hauler". The CORP train from Eugene to Roseburg is called the Medford and the CORP 508 after it leaves UP rails at Springfield Junction onto CORP tracks. Would like to catch some action south of Roseburg, but if it is at night I may have to wait until summertime, per coosbaytoday:

Believe they run a train 5 nights a week from Grants Pass to Glendale and one south from Dillard to Glendale. Switch trains at Glendale. Then the big train from Winchester to Eugene takes off after getting the cars up from Dillard. The Winchester to Eugene train runs 5-6 days a week. Arriving in Eugene in the afternoon or later. It has UP power on the point.

Tom
CBRL

Date: 04/24/17 11:23

Some items in response, based on what I know.

The train out of Eugene to Albany on the UP is P&Ws Eugene Hauler. It now comes out of Eugene about 2000 hours, goes to Albany and brings back what ever is ready to go South. The southward train may come out of Albany yard or Ashahr Siding out on the Toledo line.

The local seen at Grants Pass was seen northbound about noon and came back south about 1400. I would assume it came from Medford, but apparently did not go back south from Grants Pass. It is possible they parked the train in the yard to be picked up by the night train. I did not get a chance to check on that aspect. Consist was the 2063 adn 8 cars each way. In Medford, one geep was switching and the two SD-40s had a GP38-3 coupled up for the northbound train. On our drive back north, we saw nothing running but we did not follow the tracks religiously.

Rob

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/24/17 11:24 by OregonOldGuy.

Date: 04/24/17 12:16
Author: CBRL

Rob,

Ah. I was under the impression listening to the radio that the Eugene-Albany train was called the WP and the southbound was called the Eugene Hauler. It sounds like there is a bit of activity down in southern Oregon, which is encouraging, although I don't think I will get any shots of long freights snaking around multiple curves as in the old SP days. What would be nice is a sundown shot from the park below the bridge over the N.Umpqua River near Winchester.

Tom
CBRL

Date: 04/25/17 12:36

CBRL Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Rob,
>
> Ah. I was under the impression listening to the
> radio that the Eugene-Albany train was called the
> WP and the southbound was called the Eugene
> Hauler. It sounds like there is a bit of activity
> down in southern Oregon, which is encouraging,
> although I don't think I will get any shots of
> long freights snaking around multiple curves as in
> the old SP days.

Only the train north of Winchester might get long enough for that. Have seen it arriving Eugene with a rather good sized train.

What would be nice is a sundown
> shot from the park below the bridge over the
> N.Umpqua River near Winchester.

I would love any shot there! Missed it a couple of times, and that frustrates the heck out of me to be so close and miss it.

Rob

>
> Tom
> CBRL

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0425 seconds