Home Open Account Help 326 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > UP #844 Boise Turn ~ Backing Into Nampa, Idaho Yard

Date: 04/24/17 13:38
UP #844 Boise Turn ~ Backing Into Nampa, Idaho Yard
Author: philhoov

Here's a video of the UP #844 Boise Turn as it backs thru Kuna, Idaho on its way to the Nampa Yard.
I began my chase at Glenns Ferry, Idaho Saturday morning and dealt with strong winds and poor light all day long.
This past Saturday, the train was wyed at Orchard, Idaho, then backed 34 miles west into the Nampa Yard before proceeding forward to the Boise Depot.
Crew members stood inside the back door of the rear car, calling out upcoming crossings with radio communication to the cab of the #844 to facilitate blowing at crossings during the reverse move.
Crew members told me that the #844 was under power and the diesel was being used for dynamic braking only.
This was a very long reverse move with a lot of precise, professional, clear communication heard on my scanner.
The train moved from the Nampa Yard to the Boise Depot shortly after this move.
It was interesting to note that the train met all scheduled arrivals and departures almost to the exact minute all along the route.
Phil

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 04/24/17 15:57
Re: UP #844 Boise Turn ~ Backing Into Nampa, Idaho Yard
Author: CPRR

Can't believe there is no other wye other than 34 miles away....

Posted from iPhone

Date: 04/24/17 17:53
Author: RailRat

Thanks for sharing!...I seem to remember a "loop" track that went from Boise south-east, went under I-84, and eventually connected to mainline, maybe? When I used to travel thru here in the 1990's???

Jim Baker
Riverside, CA

Date: 04/24/17 18:44
Author: philhoov

There's a wye in the Nampa yard, but they didn't use it.
Might have been due to the radii.
Phil

Date: 04/25/17 13:59
Author: dag-id

RailRat Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thanks for sharing!...I seem to remember a "loop"
> track that went from Boise south-east, went under
> I-84, and eventually connected to mainline, maybe?
> When I used to travel thru here in the 1990's???

Jim, the track is still there. Last time by there, still full of center beam lumber cars in storage.

David

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0402 seconds