Home Open Account Help 307 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Military Train in SoCal (November 2016)

Date: 04/27/17 15:17
Military Train in SoCal (November 2016)
Author: cchan006

Back in November during one of my SoCal visits, I went to Pepper Ave. to see what might show up and chatted with friends there. Oyw (via RSD5's cell phone, since I don't Smartphone) gave me a heads up on a military train coming down Cajon:

https://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?1,4164741

I headed to Mount Vernon, and had an impromptu gathering with him and TheNavigator while a crew change took place for the military train.

First clip is from the overpass at Mt. Vernon, where the military train is slowly coming to a stop as it comes down the Colton Flyover.

Second clip is for the intermodal foamers, where an eastbound 3x1 Z-ish train passes the military train, autoracks up front, several strings of pigs in the middle. Entire train is shown.

- Snapshot of the military train from Mt. Vernon.
- There were other trains that passed during the crew change. Another intermodal in the foreground, and an autorack repo in the distance.
- Video as described.

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 04/27/17 15:31
Re: Military Train in SoCal (November 2016)
Author: cchan006

The crew change seemed to take a long time, but once the train was ready, I climbed up to the overpass again to record it departing, and the entire train is shown, first clip.

While on my way to San Timoteo Canyon for the chase, I overheard DS 250 remind the crew that "No PTC in this territory for an 'S' train..."

I had many things planned for the chase, but unfortunately, a "concerned citizen" called DS 44 and alerted the railroad of an open door on one of the loads. The conductor wasn't sure if he was allowed to touch any of the military loads, so after a brief discussion on the radio, DS 44 told the train to make a safe stop near MP 558, then he would send a carman from West Colton, and possibly someone else (UP Special Agent or other law enforcement).

I was really hungry (waiting at Mt. Vernon) so I chose one location (west end of El Casco), got the train taking the curve, second clip, then ditched the chase for a very good lunch back near Colton.

- Rear DPU of the autorack repo at Mt. Vernon.
- Video as described.

That's all for the belated report.

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 04/27/17 16:35
Author: electromac

Nice videos.....thank you...

Date: 04/27/17 17:11
Author: SCUfoamer

Awesome catch. Looks like a new, fresh spot to shoot sunset stuff - but still feel somewhat connected to Colton.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0423 seconds