Home Open Account Help 262 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > UP Detour on the BNSF Gateway Sub.

Date: 04/27/17 16:47
UP Detour on the BNSF Gateway Sub.
Author: DaveL

Northern California, Sims Bridge Detour.

The first one I've seen just passed the Detector at mp 196.4 South bound with 340 axles. Time 15:45 04-27-17.
2/3 of train was loaded lumber racks. He just rolled-up, there is another train at mp 185 South bound.(BNSF train)

Dave

Date: 04/27/17 16:59
Re: UP Detour on the BNSF Gateway Sub.
Author: Doodle

If you have time on your hands Dave, I would be really interested in knowing how many trains pass by your house Friday or Saturday? I may take a trip up there next weekend to catch some detours.

Thanks

Posted from iPhone

Date: 04/27/17 19:34
Author: mukinduri

Another example of how precious little redundancy there is in the western railroad network.

Date: 04/27/17 19:47
Author: ln844south

Had a "Z" train through Chiloquin this afternoon headed north. Must have been the UPS train. Noticed that the double stacks where loaded single.
Are there bridges/tunnels that have clearance problems south of K. Falls?

Steve Panzik
Chiloquin, Or

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/27/17 19:47 by ln844south.

Date: 04/27/17 22:32
Author: OregonOldGuy

ln844south Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Had a "Z" train through Chiloquin this afternoon
> headed north. Must have been the UPS train.
> Noticed that the double stacks where loaded
> single.
> Are there bridges/tunnels that have clearance
> problems south of K. Falls?
>
> Steve Panzik
> Chiloquin, Or

Calling a single stacked intermodal a double stack train is like "Military Intelligence"!

Yes, there are tunnels north of Keddie (six tunnels between Keddie and Almanor) that do not have clearance for double stacked containers. I do not know if double stacked Marine containers would fit. Auto racks, no problem (except maybe those slightly taller roofed ones I have seen). Double stacked Domestic containers, nope.

Rob

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/27/17 22:34 by OregonOldGuy.

Date: 04/27/17 23:30
Author: mukinduri

Thanks for the info OregonOldGuy. I'm guessing all the 6 tunnels between Kedde and Alamanor must be fairly short. Do you know if there are any pans to increase the clearance? TIA

Date: 04/28/17 09:26
Author: Coalca

Seen that single stacked Z flying up the willamette valley last night at track speed!

Date: 04/28/17 17:56
Author: SPbird

Highball the ZLCBRD 28 through Oroville at 545p. 3rd and last unit, 8949, crapped out just west of here but it's a fairly short train. They are trying to restart it.

Posted from Android

Date: 04/28/17 19:41

Always a nit picker. Depends on the slang used on a certain railroad or portion thereof.. On CSXT were I ran we called them double stack cars thus I referred to them as such with just one container loaded on them. Mty stacks or mty wells to us, bare tables out west.
We also called piggy backs "TOTE" for trailer on train express which is a L&N use where they are pigs else where.

Steve Panzik
Chiloquin, Or

Date: 04/29/17 11:01
Author: OregonOldGuy

mukinduri Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thanks for the info OregonOldGuy. I'm guessing all
> the 6 tunnels between Kedde and Alamanor must be
> fairly short. Do you know if there are any pans to
> increase the clearance? TIA

AFAIK, no plans, but hopefully GN599 will respond.

Of the six tunnels, they are 685 feet, 588 feet, 621 feet, 470 feet, 279 feet, and tunnel 6 is 1103 feet long. But it depends on the height, not the length!

For Steve: At least I didn't call it an oxymoron! But it is a "when in France, do as the French do" kind of thing. Also, I think they call the cars "well cars" so the contents are either single or double stacks. But your right, we all have different views/knowledge of local practices which color our thinking. My apologies. Last thing I want is to be a "nit picker"!

Rob

Date: 04/29/17 16:24

Rob,
That is what makes this hobby/craft so colorful, the slang specific to a region or railroad. Unfortunately, a lot of this is being lost as the smaller more individual roads and their employees/followers disappear.
I am so glad I got to experience it with 30 years service out of Pensacola, Fl as an Engineer. These new guys may have better infrastructure and equipment, but it will never be the same.

Steve Panzik
Chiloquin, Or

Date: 04/29/17 18:06
Author: portlander

There was a ZLCBR and an MRVEU that went east through the canyon today.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0461 seconds