Home Open Account Help 337 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Snow Colorado & Wyoming

Date: 05/18/17 06:12
Snow Colorado & Wyoming
Author: cozephyr

1 to 3 feet of snow expected in Colorado Rockies May 18, 2017. Conditions in southern Wyoming difficult I-80 closures west of Cheyenne.

HEAVY SNOW FOR THE MOUNTAINS AND NORTHERN FRONT RANGE FOOTHILLS THROUGH FRIDAY...POSSIBLY SPREADING DOWN TO THE I-25 CORRIDOR...

.A strong spring storm will drop south across the Great Basin today and tonight, and then move slowly east across Colorado Friday. Significant snow will fall across the Front Range Mountains and Foothills, accumulating into the feet of snow. In lower elevations including the I-25 Corridor, rain may be mixed with snow this morning near the Wyoming border and from Denver into the Palmer Divide. Temperatures will turn colder tonight into early Friday morning with rain mixing with and changing over to snow. Snow accumulation on fully leafed out trees may result in broken tree limbs and scattered power outages.

WINTER Storm Warning REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 6 PM MDT FRIDAY...

Timing: Snow will continue into Friday. The snow will be heavy at times today and tonight with snowfall rates up to 2 inches per hour on the eastern facing slopes of the Front Range. Snow will gradually taper off in intensity by Friday afternoon.
Snow accumulations: 12 to 24 inches.
WIND/VISIBILITY...Visibility will fall below a quarter mile in heavy snow.
IMPACTS: Travel will be hazardous and slow at times due to snow and slush covered roads. Wet snow may accumulate on leafed out trees, resulting in broken tree limbs and power outages.

Wear those winter boots!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/18/17 06:17 by cozephyr.

Date: 05/18/17 07:42
Re: Snow Colorado & Wyoming
Author: jsnoy

YEP its snowing. Pic #1. Here is a "current" view of the Joint Line from my house just south of Castle Rock, CO. You can just barely see the NB track on the other side of the pond (golf course cart path is in foreground). Toward the top-left of the pic are some blurry shapes of semi-trucks on I-25 and the SB track is parallel to I-25 in the mist.

Pic#2 - taken last summer from the top of Castle Rock with a NB autorack train. The red arrow points to my house and the pond shown in the top pic is under the red arrow.

I'm gonna try to capture the BNSF Q train today as it passes my house on the NB track. Its a sneaky train because it is "quiet" compared to the "noisy" coal and manifest trains (lots of clickity-clack)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/18/17 08:40 by jsnoy.

Date: 05/18/17 14:13
Author: cozephyr

Snow still not sticking as of 3 PM May 18, 2017 in Denver Metro area. Denver Regional Transportation District (RTD) University of Colorado A line to Denver International Airport running on time.

Date: 05/18/17 20:01
Author: Diamond_D

Two feet of snow reported at Pinecliffe on the Moffat Sub in the past 24 hrs, wish I could be out there taking photos! Over 3 ft reported up near Allenspark and Ward areas. Pretty good for almost Memorial Day!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0788 seconds