Home Open Account Help 306 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Utah man pleads guilty to stealing 14 miles of UP track.

Date: 05/25/17 18:23
Utah man pleads guilty to stealing 14 miles of UP track.
Author: davew833

A prominent Utah businessman contracted with two other companies to remove 14 miles of Union Pacific track from the Tintic rail line near Elberta, UT. Though the rail theft was only part of the case, this was not your typical case of scrap metal theft, although drugs were the ultimate motivation.

https://www.ksl.com/?sid=44385118&nid=148&title=man-who-pretended-to-be-lds-general-authority-pleads-guilty-to-fraud

http://www.ksl.com/?sid=42379792&nid=148

Date: 05/25/17 20:24
Re: Utah man pleads guilty to stealing 14 miles of UP track.
Author: funnelfan

Sure seems like he is getting off lite for what he did!

Ted Curphey
Ontario, OR

Date: 05/25/17 21:09
Author: BobP

Rails???

McKee also pleaded guilty to theft in a second case for contracting with two companies to help him remove and recycle materials from a 14-mile stretch of railroad that he didn't own. He is scheduled to be sentenced Nov. 28.

Date: 05/26/17 01:25
Author: Hookdragkick

Mckee's own attorney: "You're a white, middle class, LDS businessman with a prominent position in the community. Drugs are something that other people do," Skordas said.

That cracks me up. I just seen the TV show Underworld and they had a segment on drugs in the LDS community and there are very prominent hitters who are dealing drugs. Drugs don't discriminate. Their own families help to cover it up so they won't "lose face" among their friends etc.

Drugs + Scrap metal = Drugs

Posted from Android

Date: 05/26/17 06:12
Author: Lackawanna484

funnelfan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Sure seems like he is getting off lite for what he
> did!

Being well-connected in Utah shouldn't be under estimated. Guy steals $5,000 from a bank, he goes to jail for 2 years. Bank steals $50,000,000 from home buyers, CEO gets a bonus.

Date: 05/26/17 06:43
Author: Grande473

How could someone pull up 14 miles of railroad track that he didn't own without someone else noticing.

Date: 05/26/17 07:23
Author: jointauthority

Easy, make sure everyone has a safety vest on.

Posted from Android

Date: 05/26/17 10:18
Author: hawkeye

Elberta, Utah is not exactly a thriving metropolis...more livestock and rabbits than people.

Date: 05/26/17 11:03
Author: TAW

jointauthority Wrote:
> Easy, make sure everyone has a safety vest on.
>

Not a joke, actually. I once was hired by BNSF for a consulting job for which I had to be on the ROW taking notes and pictures. I needed a right of entry form for legal access to the track. Although I was working for BNSF, I couldn't get another tentacle of the same octopus to give me the required permission to do the work. Days went by and I was running out of time to complete the work. I boogied over to Home Depot and got a white (the color of management) hard hat. Orange vests were not required yet. I went back and went to work. there was a tie gang working near by. their white hat saw my white hat, came over, and gave me a complete report on their progress. He was talking to the white hat, of course.

TAW

Date: 05/26/17 11:57
Author: Graybeard1942

There is a well-known rail photographer who has hard hats colored for each rail system. I first met him back in Western Pacific days wearing a WP green hard hat.

I stick to a white hard hat and the latest safety vest and carry my scanner in my hand. I stay OFF of the Right of Way but it tends to allow me to avoid the dirty looks I would get otherwise. And I always give the crews a friendly wave. Once a track gang foreman came over and started chatting in a most friendly way. It seems that a FRA inspector was noted for driving a vehicle just like mine. When the foreman learned I was just another railfan, he was most relieved.

Date: 05/26/17 11:59
Author: Utah5005

Grande473 Wrote:
> How could someone pull up 14 miles of railroad
> track that he didn't own without someone else
> noticing.

Oh the Railfans in Utah noticed really fast. A friend of mine approached the crew and asked the crew what they were doing and he was told the Railroad had hired them to remove the rails.

Posted from iPhone

Spencer Peterson
Payson, UT

Date: 05/26/17 13:15

A crew of industrious fellows removed two miles of guard rails on I-78 in NJ. By hand, with hand tools.

Nobody noticed, or cared.

Posted from Android

Date: 05/26/17 14:06
Author: partsguy

Lackawanna484 Wrote:
> funnelfan Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Sure seems like he is getting off lite for what
> he
> > did!
>
>
> Being well-connected in Utah shouldn't be under
> estimated. Guy steals $5,000 from a bank, he goes
> to jail for 2 years. Bank steals $50,000,000 from
> home buyers, CEO gets a bonus.

LOL How true! Remember it's the Golden Rule, were all no better than a bunch of sheep...

Date: 05/26/17 19:27
Author: the_expediter

Why is everyone getting so upset?...James Belmont just borrowed the track...he is building (a model RR)
Soldier Summit in his backyard...to scale !...he was going to return the track, honest !
Stevie in Grossmont CA

Date: 05/27/17 06:59

There's a fine line between intruding and safely observing. But, wearing appropriate protective equipment seems like a good idea.

Posted from Android

Date: 05/27/17 15:26
Author: PlyWoody

If your an employee (Non-agreement) and wonder about someone with a hard hat, question the date of the life span of that hard hat. If it is out of date, he is an imposter and could be arrested foe trespass. A few names of who he works for would help. Sometimes state DOT people trespass where they have no legal rights.

The thief who tore up a quarter mile of East Broad Top NG RR forged papers with GM/Superintendent's signature and was going at it when he knew the Super was on vacation and not available, but the neighbors knew something was still fishy and they got him arrested. But the cut up rail was a small size and not available to be replaced just east of Robertsdale. The ties were gone so nothing to spike them back on to.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0533 seconds