Home Open Account Help 238 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Bound for Chicago!

Date: 05/25/17 18:35
Bound for Chicago!
Author: santafe199

In a few hours I will be standing on the platform outside the Topeka Amtrak passenger station looking in the same direction as my photo from 6 years ago. It will be dark so that 6th St overpass will not be quite as prominent. I will watch as that hard-to-believe-it’s-still-there cantilever searchlight signal drops from clear to yellow to red. Then I will be staring into the bright tri-headlights of the eastbound Southwest Chief, also known as train #4.

I am bound for Chicago where I will spend a couple of days following my camera around under the expert tour guidance of TO member Mr “ironmtn”. I’ve been to & through Chicago numerous times in past years, but only once in a car. So I am eagerly looking forward to seeing some of the railfanning highlights of Chi-town, or at least as many as I can in 2 days. I will also be looking forward to a handful… er… umm a tummy-full of re-affirmations of the famous song lyric: “Dinner in the diner, nothing could be finer…” There’s nothing quite like having a meal @ 90 MPH…

Needless to say I will be away from the computer for that length of time. I have promised to post TO threads for 3 or 4 fellow TO members. I’m working on a tribute to my late KS Gang partner & very good friend John Arbuckle. This also includes Mr Patrick Henry, who owns the 2 private passenger cars based at Kansas City Union Station and are named after his parents. Hang in there Patrick, I have Photoshopped 32 total images which will be split into 2 parts as soon as I can write them up. I’m hoping everyone will have a bit of patience while I have a blast gallivanting around Chicago...

1. BNSF scene looking nearly due south from the Amtrak passenger platform in Topeka, KS.
Photo date: July 18, 2011.

out to go railfanning, back in a couple-three days
Lance Garrels
santafe199

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 05/25/17 19:56 by santafe199.

Date: 05/25/17 18:41
Re: Bound for Chicago!
Author: Ritzville

Have FUN Lance, sounds like a great trip!

Larry

Date: 05/25/17 19:12
Author: millerdc

Is the track that rough or is it telephoto effect?

Date: 05/25/17 19:32
Author: RHicks

Wouldn't count on being dark #4 shows 3hours 5 minutes late into Topeka

Date: 05/25/17 20:16

phthithu Wrote: > ... Really captures the feel of ...

Thank you, sir! After the news from Rich it looks my photo will represent what I'll be looking at instead of darkness. I guess it'll be lunch in the diner @ 90 per, rather than 2 scrambled w/ bacon & orange juice.

And to address the deceiving track condition: yes this was a fairly long telephoto shot...

Posted from Android

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/25/17 20:18 by santafe199.

Date: 05/25/17 20:57
Author: Margaret_SP_fan

Hey -- have fun on the trains, and in Chi-town!
LOVE that cantilever and the searchlight signal!

Date: 05/26/17 05:49
Author: Bob3985

Enjoy Chi-town my friend. I grew up back there when there were still 42 railroads serving the greater Chicago area. And yes, the Chicago area/Northern Indiana region has a myriad of locations for great photography. Looking forward to your results.

Bob Krieger
Cheyenne, WY

Date: 05/26/17 06:47
Author: TexasChief

Lance, have a wonderful trip. Just came Westbound Tuesday.

Date: 05/26/17 09:03
Author: WichitaJct

Saw ya leave Lawrence, about 3 hours 40 minutes off the schedule. The three Iowa Pacific cars on the rear end were kind of a nice surprise. Sure would like to have been sitting in that dome car.

Date: 05/26/17 09:21
Author: Milw_E70

Get as many pictures of the cantilever there and at Eudora as you can as their time is very limited.

Date: 05/26/17 10:14

WichitaJct Wrote: > ... would like to have been sitting in that dome car...

As of 1212 I AM sitting in the dome* nursing a cold one.🍺 Oops, we just clipped an eastbound NS manifest @ Hardin...

Posted from Android

*the regular full length dome lounge, that is...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/26/17 10:23 by santafe199.

Date: 05/26/17 10:15
Author: zfan

Will be sad when they finally get around to swapping out those beautiful signals. They've really become synonymous with that depot decor there in Topeka.

Date: 05/26/17 10:28

Woof! Here I am roaring thru Carrollton @ 1228, but it seems like we just crossed the Mighty Mo at Sibley. It sure does take a lot longer driving the rig. Hmmm...

Posted from Android

Date: 05/26/17 10:52

Crossing over main 2 to main 1 at Mendon at 12:49. First, of course, we had to clip one of Uncle Warren's EB hotshots a few miles back...

Posted from Android

Date: 05/26/17 11:00

Rolling thru northern Missouri farmland and into Marceline @ 1300 I'm watching a friendly British 4-some playing cards, with a frosty cold one in hand. Those of you not working (or driving a car) tip one back and join me by proxy!

Posted from Android

Date: 05/26/17 11:05

Over the Q at Bucklin @ 1305

Posted from Android

Date: 05/26/17 13:22

Dinner in the diner, nothing could be finer update: Chicken quesadillas while crossing the mighty Mississippi River. Yum...

Posted from Android

Date: 05/26/17 14:04

Thru the shuffle W of Galesburg @ 1558... and into the station stop @ 1604

Posted from Android

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0596 seconds