Home Open Account Help 375 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Sneaking Out

Date: 05/26/17 14:04
Sneaking Out
Author: pyroman

Weather has been crap this year and it seems whenever I have been free - no trains or raining. Bad case of laryngitis this week so I have been off for a bit to rest the voice. Since today started out nice and sunny for a change I hit the road for a few pictures (not much talking required). Just south of town I got my first hit as the local heads back to the La Crosse barn running “wrong main”. Darn seniors driving on the wrong side - looks like right turn Clyde time as well too. :)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/26/17 14:14 by pyroman.

Re: Sneaking Out

Bit father south we find a nice triple set of thoroughbreds on a V-NTWNSC heading south passing the site of the “big dig” washout site from 2007. With all the rain we have been getting the roadbed is real soft too giving bit of a bounce to the ride. And yes the Mississippi is very high as noted by the submerged trees on the left.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/26/17 14:10 by pyroman.

Intending to get the nice EMD leader again I headed south planning for a runby at Victory but it seems Mother Nature has caught on to my escape and has begun to marshal the troops. Coming up to the intermediate signal at Nickelotti I see it is winking yellow so I setup and settle for a nice runby at the curve.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/26/17 14:11 by pyroman.

Jumping over the river I found the first of two sand trains just rounding the curve at the Root River. Six motors up front, two on the rear and nearly 2 miles of sand cars in the middle. This was really two trains that had been combined to one as is common for CP to do with the empties.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 05/26/17 15:07 by pyroman.

Found the second train at Brownsville so I setup at Lawrence Lake for a nice Midwest style photo and headed back north for a shot.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/26/17 14:13 by pyroman.

Date: 05/26/17 14:05

One last shot at Root River before heading back to town for a family duty.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/26/17 14:13 by pyroman.

Date: 05/26/17 14:42
Author: ns1000

Very nice...!! Thanks for sharing.

Date: 05/26/17 17:11
Author: Ritzville

Very enjoyable series, lots of variety!

Larry

Date: 05/26/17 19:40
Author: Margaret_SP_fan

Very nice photos, sir! Sorry you got laryngitis --
hope it goes away soon!

Your last photo is awesome! Love the reflection,
and love the one before that, too! That area is
so green and pretty.

Date: 05/26/17 19:57
Author: TexBob

Nice set of shots. Ya gotta love the variety of power.

Robert Pierce
Sugar Land, TX
SWRails.com

Date: 05/27/17 08:10
Author: bmarti7

We've only been to LaCrosse and stayed one time. I love your area. We even got to see one of "Queens " going through the locks. Those highways parallel to tracks and the river are great! We really enjoyed eating good Mexican food on the back deck of Fiesta Mexicana while 3 trains went by.
BB

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/27/17 08:12 by bmarti7.

Date: 05/27/17 12:01
Author: 3rdswitch

Nice bunch, great variety.
JB

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0914 seconds