Home Open Account Help 169 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Union Pacific EMD Tier 4's in Utah

Date: 06/16/17 05:54
Union Pacific EMD Tier 4's in Utah
Author: 2ebright

Yesterday morning I was sitting in the barber chair getting my monthly cut & cover treatment when my phone rang with a text message. It was a heads up that the Union Pacific MNYRO was due to leave Grand Junction, CO at 10 AM and get to Helper, UT at 6PM. It had 3 new SD70Ace-T4’s leading. That was too good an opportunity to miss as the weather looked good and if I hurried I might catch it out on the eastern Utah desert and chase it over Soldier Summit. I drove a little over 2 hours over 9100’ Indian Summit to Helper and on south to a favorite spot at the east end of Grassy siding to wait for the MNYRO. After an hour’s wait here it comes with UP3027 leading the UP3019 and 3014. I wish it had been 2 or 3 hours later so as to avoid the dreaded high sun, but I’ll take what I got. I then began my chase west and managed to get ahead of the train at the Farnham Road crossing a few miles west of Mounds.

1& 2. UP3027 approaching and passing me at east Grassy on the Green River Sub.
3. UP3027 scoots across the gray shale flats between Mounds and Wash.

There’s more!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/16/17 06:28 by 2ebright.

Date: 06/16/17 05:57
Re: Union Pacific EMD Tier 4's in Utah
Author: 2ebright

4. In your face at the Farnham Road crossing as the 3027 rounds the superelevated curve.

By now clouds had arrived over the Wasatch Plateau and I was about to loose my good sunlight. I drove ahead to Helper Yard and set up for a shot of the crew change. And I waited and waited some more. It turned out that the MNYRO had stopped at Wash to make a 13 car pick up. The result was an hour and a half delay and poor light by the time it arrived at Helper at around 7:45PM. I took a look west and saw nothing but dark clouds and decided to scrap my plan to shoot this guy coming up Price River Canyon and head for home.

5. MNYRO sitting in front of the Helper yard office for a crew change. I brightened up this image a bit for this post; it was really a lot darker than this.

That’s all for today folks from eastern Utah.

Dick Ebright
Roosevelt, Utah

Date: 06/16/17 06:45
Author: eljay

Kool pictures; thanks for posting! Would be interesting to know what the hoggers think of these. Solid consist would be an excellent test setting . . . I believe I saw a post a month or so ago by an engineer who was not impressed by the control stand arrangement . . . still, if they pull well and don't break they might not be a hardship to work.

Date: 06/16/17 06:50
Author: SPDRGWfan

That is some of my favorite landscape of the old Rio Grande - I find it to be very pretty. I do miss the old D&RGW and wish I had more of a chance to rail fan it back in the 1970's and 1980's.

Thank you for sharing,
Jim Fitch

Date: 06/16/17 07:02
Author: highgreengraphics

Very nice - Hard to go wrong with scenery and new locomotives! === === = === JLH

Date: 06/16/17 08:11
Author: SF5953

Great catch, and photo's.

Date: 06/16/17 09:26
Author: atsf121

Great photos Dick, I'll have to try and catch the next set that come through.

Nathan

Date: 06/16/17 09:45
Author: SP8595

Awesome catch and shots!

Date: 06/16/17 10:02
Author: GBW309

Love that super elevated curve. It just screams "speed"

Dave

Date: 06/16/17 18:13
Author: RailFanAZ

Awesome Series!

Christina
Mesa, AZ
RailFanAZ.com

Date: 06/16/17 18:47
Author: fbe

Nice work, Dick. Wow, a clean UP consist at last perhaps good news for the summer.

Date: 06/17/17 04:55
Author: KDC

How bout a Hogger with a good EMD Tier 4 evaluation.

Date: 06/19/17 11:34
Author: mstlouie

Excellent capture and portrayal of power for the grade! Really nice improvements from the standard cab when I was running the newer Ace's!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0597 seconds