Home Open Account Help 288 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Symbol of UP Refrigeration train

Date: 06/22/17 06:23
Symbol of UP Refrigeration train
Author: UP844

Hello
Does anyone know the Symbol of UP Refrigeration train ? Also what Locomotives does it use to power the train ?

Posted from iPhone

Date: 06/22/17 07:04
Re: Symbol of UP Refrigeration train
Author: florida581

They were running under these symbols at least during the beginning of the year.

ZCYG3P Cheyenne, WY - Global 3, IL
ZDLCYP Delano, CA - Cheyenne, WY
ZGRWAP Green River, WY - Wallula, WA
ZG3SKP Global 3, IL - Chicago, IL (CSX)
ZNPG3P North Platte, NE - Global 3, IL
ZSKDLP Chicago, IL (CSX) - Delano, CA
ZWACYP Wallula, WA - Cheyenne, WY

Andrew

Date: 06/22/17 07:14
Author: toledopatch

As for power, it seemed that when these trains first started running, they always drew three of the newest road units UP had available. These days, the UP produce trains I see on CSX seem to have two or three of whatever was handy at Wallula, Delano, or North Platte.

Date: 06/22/17 08:01
Author: UP844

How many cars is it usually ?

Posted from iPhone

Date: 06/22/17 08:16
Author: toledopatch

UP844 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> How many cars is it usually ?
>
> Posted from iPhone

It varies from trip to trip -- I've seen anywhere from about 25 reefers to about 60, but I'd have to review my logs to be more precise. Lately some of the trains on CSX have been filled out with boxcar traffic, rather than being all reefers. And when I say boxcar traffic, I mean boxcars -- I've yet to see that block contain any other kind of freight car. Not sure what's in 'em, but canned foodstuffs would seem to be a likely candidate.

Date: 06/22/17 09:17
Author: FiestaFoamer

I saw both the WB and EB Wallula trains on Sunday morning, meeting at Cobb, Idaho. I think one was 12 cars, the other like 18. From what I understand, both are longer east of Pocatello -- they fill out there, and then of course they combine at Cheyenne with the Delano train.

Just before Christmas, I saw a couple in the 40-60 car range, so I do think there are seasonal differences.

I think UP is trying with this service right now. The dispatchers were making an effort to give it priority on Sunday; it's not as hot as the UPS trains, but it's hot. That's not always been the case, from what I've seen.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 06/22/17 10:02
Author: bradleymckay

UP seems particularly interested in recapturing some of the frozen foods, potato, onion business out of WA, OR, ID lost to trucking over the last 5 years. We'll see how they do...

Allen

Date: 06/22/17 10:12
Author: coach

bradleymckay Wrote:
> UP seems particularly interested in recapturing
> some of the frozen foods, potato, onion business
> out of WA, OR, ID lost to trucking over the last 5
> years. We'll see how they do...

I find this funny.  Years ago, when UP touted its EXPRESS LANE service, and then later its RAILEX service, they talked about "consistent service" and "it's best suited for more 'durable' food items, such as frozen foods, potatoes, onions, etc."  Now they lost even that stuff.  Someday UP will realize you gotta hustle, otherwise most of this freight will eventually walk away.  8-10 day service anywhere in this country is not "service", it's captivity.  The freight is being held captive, in essence.

Date: 06/22/17 11:53
Author: mapboy

UP844 Wrote:
> How many cars is it usually ?
The MRVRO (Roseville-Roper Yard) lifts canned goods and wine over Donner Pass and sets them out at Sparks Yard (Reno), where the ZDLCYP adds them to their head end.  A few large ZDLCYP car counts:           
Th 1/5/17 9 cars out of RV, picked up 39 at Sparks=48 cars.           
Sa 1/7/17 13 out of RV, picked up 45 at Sparks= 58.           
Th 6/1/17 24 out of RV, picked up 62 at Sparks= 86.

mapboy

Edit: respaced it for easier reading.

Edit #2: Th 6/22/17 28 out of RV, picked up 23 at Sparks= 51 cars.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/23/17 22:18 by mapboy.

Date: 06/22/17 15:16
Author: bradleymckay

coach Wrote:

> I find this funny.  Years ago, when UP touted its
> EXPRESS LANE service, and then later its RAILEX
> service, they talked about "consistent service"
> and "it's best suited for more 'durable' food
> items, such as frozen foods, potatoes, onions,
> etc."  Now they lost even that stuff.  Someday
> UP will realize you gotta hustle, otherwise most
> of this freight will eventually walk away.  8-10
> day service anywhere in this country is not
> "service", it's captivity.  The freight is being
> held captive, in essence.

Reportedly, profit margin has been a problem. When diesel fuel prices declined truckers began making a huge dent in the business, offering to haul it for less with better service. UP was unwilling to lower prices on selected items...

Allen

Date: 06/22/17 18:11
Author: cchan006

UP844 Wrote:
> Also what Locomotives does it use to power
> the train ?
>
> Posted from iPhone

First time I saw the train in Roseville about 10 years ago, GEVOs on the point.

Few years ago, I started seeing C6044AC on the train, with the unique Airchime K3HL horn. Don't know if that's still the case.

When I saw it in Nebraska last month (likely ZSKDLP), ET44AC and GEVO were the power. I also saw it in the Nevada Desert last October, pulled by a pair of SD70Ms, so it seems rather random lately. I haven't seen any with pool power, but that doesn't mean it never happens.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.049 seconds