Home Open Account Help 232 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > UP 1996 Really Shows Her Heritage

Date: 06/22/17 21:15
UP 1996 Really Shows Her Heritage
Author: suvart

Yesterday the recently repainted Southern Pacific heritage unit left LA for bound for Chicago. Since this is one of the better looking units in my opinion (after reading some comments on PhotoBob's post I've realized I'm probably in the minority there) I made the trip up from San Diego to West Colton to give chase.

Photo 1: After a short wait, 1996 rolls through West Colton.

Photo 2: Now on BNSF tracks after taking the BNSF connector at the Colton Fly over, UP 7826 gets ready to charge up Cajon pass while BNSF stacker waits for Clearance into San Bernardino.

Photo 3: UP 7826 gets overtaken by a Hi-rail at Blue Cut.

Date: 06/22/17 21:19
Re: UP 1996 Really Shows Her Heritage
Author: suvart

Photo 4: UP 7826 creeps up to a red signal. The train was stuck behind a slow moving international stacker that had a unit with traction motor issues.

Photo 5: With the international clear of the Cajon Station crossovers, DS aligns them from main one to two and gives UP 7826 a clear signal. While throttling up UP 1996 begins spewing Black exhaust. Perhaps it's a fitting heritage unit for the Southern Pacific after all.

Photo 6: Showing her roots, UP 1996 spews up Cajon pass.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/23/17 13:13 by suvart.

Date: 06/22/17 22:02
Author: DynamicBrake

Nice looking "six pack", thanks for sharing. Unfortunately, she won't stay clean for long.

Kent in CArmel Valley

Date: 06/23/17 02:01
Author: jst3751

suvart Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> (after reading some comments on PhotoBob's
> post I've realized I'm probably in the minority
> there)

Don't let the naysayers dissuade you, there are allot of us that like that paint scheme.

Date: 06/23/17 04:59
Author: ns1000

Nice pics!!

Date: 06/23/17 06:56
Author: tomstp

Be glad you SP guys got a unit, T&P didn't.

Date: 06/23/17 07:02
Author: icancmp193

My issue with the UP Heritage units is that they are phony representations of the roads they took over (merged).

TJY

Date: 06/23/17 08:39
Author: jst3751

icancmp193 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> My issue with the UP Heritage units is that they
> are phony representations of the roads they took
> over (merged).
>
> TJY

Well see there you go. Your lack of understanding and knowledge. They were never intended to be a representation but rather a tribute. And they do a mighty fine job of that. But, to each his own.

Date: 06/23/17 10:15
Author: TCnR

Yipes, stripes!!

Nice idea from the UPrr and it seems to have encouraged interesting schemes on the Eastern side of the map as well. I guess their's where not 'tributes' but some other kind of idea...

Great reason to go chase a train though. Makes the hobby more interesting with one unit schemes like this.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0521 seconds