Home Open Account Help 298 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Southern California Locals Question - Xerox Lead

Date: 06/23/17 08:30
Southern California Locals Question - Xerox Lead
Author: SoCalCynic

Charles's book indicates the Second La Mirada services the Xerox Lead. I found no definition via the search function - what is the Xerox Lead?

Date: 06/23/17 11:46
Re: Southern California Locals Question - Xerox Lead
Author: Chico43

It's been many years since I've been down there but IIRC the Xerox Lead left the ATSF #2 main track at La Mirada thru a power switch within the OS section and dead ended next to the Xerox paper house at the I-5 freeway. Others may have more up to date info.

Date: 06/23/17 13:56
Author: MrMRL

ATSF's now BNSF's Xerox lead is located just west of the Los Coyotes Creek flood channel. It is the name for a collection of industry spurs south of the San Bernardino Sub Main line in the city of Santa Fe Springs, CA. As of 2017, there is only one active customer left on the entire lead, Huff Lumber located just off the mainline north of Rosecrans Ave.

~ Mr. MRL

Date: 06/23/17 21:50
Author: mapboy

MrMRL Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ATSF's now BNSF's Xerox lead is located just west
> of the Los Coyotes Creek flood channel. It is the
> name for a collection of industry spurs south of
> the San Bernardino Sub Main line in the city of
> Santa Fe Springs, CA. As of 2017, there is only
> one active customer left on the entire lead, Huff
> Lumber located just off the mainline north of
> Rosecrans Ave.
>
> ~ Mr. MRL

A lot of spurs on that lead, a shame to see that only one active customer left!  Here's the aerial view on Google Maps, right at CP Coyote Creek-  https://www.google.com/maps/@33.9053456,-118.0428578,19z/data=!3m1!1e3

mapboy

Date: 06/24/17 10:30
Author: spider1319

I remember when all that trackage was constructed in open space primed for industrial development. Then the good old days of lots of customers.I remember marvelling that rail trackage was still being built from my parents car on the Santa Ana Freeway enroute to my grandmothers house.Bill Webb

Date: 06/24/17 18:55
Author: MrMRL

mapboy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
> A lot of spurs on that lead, a shame to see that
> only one active customer left!  ...
>
> mapboy

Old ATSF/BNSF switching guide I have seems to indicate there were upwards 25-30 spotable industries within the switching complex. I highly doubt they were all active at the same time though.

Quite similar is the Texas Lead to the east just across the flood control channel. Dozens of old industry leads along there as well with only 1 or 2 customers left.

Mr. MRL

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/24/17 18:57 by MrMRL.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0458 seconds