Home Open Account Help 317 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Trains in Vega$ (Nevada)

Date: 07/09/17 20:39
Trains in Vega$ (Nevada)
Author: cchan006

For those who remember the TV show starring Robert Urich, that was my first impression of Las Vegas decades ago, where Rat Pack's influence was still strong in Sin City. I still remember my visit to the grittier and seedier Vega$ back in the 1980s.

Interesting that two stars in the show passed away in the area, Greg Morris, and Phyllis Davis in nearby Henderson.

My recent attraction to Las Vegas has little do with "Vega$" but more to do with the open desert landscape and of course trains. I also enjoy the countless variety in dining experience, but I rarely gamble, and I haven't spent much time watching the great shows in recent years.

I made my annual visit earlier this year, when the temperatures were more comfortable. UP moving the office and the crew change location from downtown to Arden Yard has made the scouting trip easier, where I only have to make a visit to Arden Yard, instead of an additional stop downtown to plan the day's foaming activities.

One Tuesday, I made a quick trip to Arden Yard, and after seeing lack of activity, I headed further south past Sloan, expecting to catch radio chatter from ZLADV descending Cima Hill. Sure enough, as I neared Primm, I started hearing a train calling control points heading my way. I had time to grab a quick meal (Mad Greek Cafe), and after that, I headed to the LA&SL Golden Spike area to set up for an angle I wanted to try.

After nabbing the ZLADV there, I drove leisurely back toward Las Vegas, hoping to take advantage of the crew change at Arden to nab the train from the Rio parking lot. Due to bad light, I was looking for a new angle, but in the process, ZLADV caught me unprepared, and I watched it go by helplessly.

No big deal. I headed to Apex, the location of many angles, and found an angle that I liked and got the Z one more time.

- Westbound (going south) at Apex, view of the rear DPUs.
- Nissan Juke, my surprisingly-offroad-capable 2WD rental at Nevada Southern.
- Video of my go to train, ZLADV (Los Angeles to Denver, priority intermodal).

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/09/17 21:18 by cchan006.

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 07/09/17 20:53
Re: Trains in Vega$ (Nevada)
Author: cchan006

Getting good light at Rio parking lot can be a challenge, especially during seasons where the sun is lower, the day is shorter (so the sun "moves" faster), and so on. That's the consequence of being afraid of the desert heat, by visiting during the cool season.

First train in the video showed up about 30 minutes too early, where the background was well lit, but not the train. Note the partial shadows on the train. With the garbage doublestacks, I think this train was the MWCRO (West Colton, CA to Roper, UT), but someone like mapboy can verify that.

Second train showed up about 30 minutes too late, as the shadow from the Rio itself partially obscured the train as I panned my camcorder. Otherwise, decent lighting. A short train for being 3x1, but my guess is that it was the MWCNP.

I also caught a rail train (empties) heading east, so I got it at Apex, the last train in the video.

- Snarky shot of a westbound stacker, although my intent wasn't snarky - I just liked the angle.
- Video of the 3 trains mentioned.

That's it for the belated report.

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 07/10/17 09:14
Author: RRChuck

Nice work! Thanks for posting.
rrChuck/Las Vegas/NevadaSouthern

Date: 07/10/17 23:52
Author: Fizzboy7

Very enjoyable! Love the Vegas rail scene!

Date: 07/17/17 18:26
Author: mapboy

cchan006 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> First train in the video showed up about 30
> minutes too early, where the background was well
> lit, but not the train. Note the partial shadows
> on the train. With the garbage doublestacks, I
> think this train was the MWCRO (West Colton, CA to
> Roper, UT), but someone like mapboy can verify
> that.
I'd say so, too.  No ethanol or corn syrup that I could see.

> Second train showed up about 30 minutes too late,
> as the shadow from the Rio itself partially
> obscured the train as I panned my camcorder.
> Otherwise, decent lighting. A short train for
> being 3x1, but my guess is that it was the MWCNP.
My guess, too, since you already saw the MWCRO.  THE MWCNP usually has corn syrup and/or ethanol empties, but this short train didn't have any I could see.  Still, it could have been a 2MWCRO.

mapboy

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0447 seconds