Home Open Account Help 247 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Whatever happened to Signal Sunday?

Date: 07/17/17 00:47
Whatever happened to Signal Sunday?
Author: santafe199

I was semi retired for the night, watching an AXStv documentary about the ultra-progressive British rock band Pink Floyd. In the back of my mind were events from afternoon/evening just past. Even having said that, don’t ask me how ethereal music from 1973's Dark Side of the Moon jolted me into thinking about an image of railway signals silhouetted against a Kansas sunset.

But I came back to 100% of my faculties (some would argue this point), and set to work on a thread for what was my last shot of the evening. I wasn’t sure what I was going to do with it, although I really liked my result. Then I realized it was still Sunday according to TO time, and I hadn’t posted a “Signal Sunday” thread in quite some time. In fact, it seems to me this once popular thread topic has all but died out. Hence, my thread title/question. At any rate, here is that image for your consideration on what used to be Signal Sunday….

1. Westbound UP signals 9:06 PM on the Kansas Sub at Aikins, KS.
Photo date: July 16, 2017.

Thanks for looking!
Lance Garrels
santafe199

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/17/17 16:20 by santafe199.

Date: 07/17/17 01:50
Re: Whatever happened to Signal Sunday?
Author: CaliforniaSteam

I'm liking it Lance.... keep up the good work.

CS

Date: 07/17/17 03:31
Author: vegasrails

Agree Sun set and a set of three signals what could be better.

Date: 07/17/17 05:57
Author: IC1038west

"Three westbound guardians on the horizon". I can hear David Gilmour "numbing" it up. Very nice photo.

Date: 07/17/17 06:16
Author: mile250

...and three styles of heads. "A signal sampler."

Date: 07/17/17 09:21
Author: Ritzville

I've missed signal Sunday. Thanks for the Nice signal shot! Makes one think how scarce it is to see the older signals that once were so common.

Larry

Date: 07/17/17 12:11
Author: bmarti7

Niiiice-above the fruited plain!

BB

Date: 07/17/17 12:49
Author: jst3751

The Gardians of the track standing at the ready dispite the conclusion of another day.

Date: 07/17/17 15:04
Author: ns1000

Nice pic!!

Date: 07/17/17 15:19
Author: bobk

Great shot!

Date: 07/17/17 15:34
Author: wa4umr

Those time around Nautical or Astronomical sunsets can be beautiful when the sky is clear, maybe a few clouds here and there. I've managed a few over the years. None seem to be train related. Guess I'll have to work on that.

Possible IOTD if you ask me.

John

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0358 seconds