Home Open Account Help 338 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Short railfan stopover made to view UP rail scenes in Cheyenne

Date: 07/22/17 08:21
Short railfan stopover made to view UP rail scenes in Cheyenne
Author: JoCoLB

While doing the tourist thing in northern Colorado last week, my wife and I traveled across the state line to make a quick visit to Cheyenne, Wyo., to view the restored Union Pacific Railroad depot and other rail scenes there on Sunday, July 16, 2017.

It was getting late in the day but the sun was hitting nicely on the front of the stone depot. It was a big plus.

Wish I could have rounded up a knowledgeable railfan to show me around. Looked like there is lots to see in Cheyenne if you have hours to spare, or even stay a day or two.

Anyone know how many trains per day travel through Cheyenne?

Date: 07/22/17 08:36
Re: Short railfan stopover made to view UP rail scenes in Cheyenn

The Central Avenue overpass just east of the U.P. depot quickly caught my eye. A visit to the pedestrian walkway on the west side of the overpass was a must.

After clicking off a shot of the shop area, I was able to photograph a departing westbound train. Minutes later, I was able to catch an inbound eastbound train snaking its way toward the Cheyenne station.

Date: 07/22/17 08:42

An eastbound monster train happened to be stopped next to the depot during my short visit. I was able to take photos of the two mid-train engines a couple of blocks or so west of the depot.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/22/17 08:48 by JoCoLB.

Date: 07/22/17 08:47

My parting shots...a statue of a cowboy and his travel bag in front of the Cheyenne depot.

Happy trails to you.

(Photos by Larry Byers)

Date: 07/22/17 15:34
Author: reno7349

When I was there a couple weeks ago, there is a beer garden within the depot on the east side with outside seating. It is about 20 yards from the crew change point. Very nice.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0791 seconds