Home Open Account Help 268 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Coal traffic up-tick on the Joint Line?

Date: 07/25/17 16:40
Coal traffic up-tick on the Joint Line?
Author: jsnoy

Over the last few weeks I've noticed more coal trains up/down the Joint Line - mostly BNSF, but a few more UP too. Did UP get any new PRB coal contracts or could the traffic be re-routes because of problems elsewhere? The BNSF traffic is non-stop. Ya, I'm exaggerating a bit, but not too much. Compared to last summer, the traffic is a "flood". The coal must be coming from the PRB area in WY because the Colorado coal mines are almost all idle.

Joe - in Castle Rock on the Joint Line.

Date: 07/25/17 18:28
Re: Coal traffic up-tick on the Joint Line?
Author: CSchell

We are at that point in the summer where the demand for power is the highest because people running air conditioners. The same thing happened with more coal trains around July and August of last year. Additionally, a lot of coal trains on the Joint Line are destined for Texas where heat and humidity are usually higher. Texas also has more coal fired power plants making the demand for coal in this region higher.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/25/17 18:34 by CSchell.

Date: 07/25/17 19:38
Author: wesleygreer

As far as I'm aware, UP isn't running any new coal trains on the Joint Line, just the regular CSUX trains to Drake and Nixon, the occasional trains to Cochise, AZ and the rare train to the cement plant at Portland, CO.

Date: 07/26/17 01:27
Author: SD45X

Just a couple extra. MON and IOG set showing up.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0442 seconds