Home Open Account Help 216 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > More UP coast line military train stuff, and pix of high/wides


Date: 08/12/17 21:16
More UP coast line military train stuff, and pix of high/wides
Author: pdt

the 2 BNSF ES-44's that brought the train down the coast a few days ago, were out switching cars again today.
16 Mty flat cars pulled, 15 cars with vehicles spotted, At East Garrison, in monterey county, just north of Camp Roberts.

1. BNSF big GE's pushing a cut of loads on to the East Garrison tracks...2nd cut of loads sitting on the Coast Main.

2. Running LHF from East Garrison up to Bradley passing siding, to clear for amtk 11. 16 mty flats in tow.






Date: 08/12/17 21:19
Re: More UP coast line military train stuff, and pix of high/wide
Author: pdt

3 shots of high/wide loads on this train....someone can tell me what they are/are used for.








Date: 08/12/17 21:40
Re: More UP coast line military train stuff, and pix of high/wide
Author: cctgm

Portable unloading ramps



Date: 08/12/17 21:52
Re: More UP coast line military train stuff, and pix of high/wide
Author: miralomarail

The Flatcar in your 3rd photo has Portable Bridges and In the 4th photo is the tracked carrier that carries the Bridge, the rest of the equipment looks like Engineer Troops



Date: 08/12/17 23:22
Re: More UP coast line military train stuff, and pix of high/wide
Author: atsf121

More details about the portable bridges - https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armoured_vehicle-launched_bridge

Nathan

Posted from iPhone



Date: 08/13/17 08:00
Re: More UP coast line military train stuff, and pix of high/wide
Author: kilroydiver

Thanks for posting these. Every time I pass through the area, all I see are empty tracks. Great to see actual train movements on them.

Dave



Date: 08/13/17 12:11
Re: More UP coast line military train stuff, and pix of high/wide
Author: 1019X

The last photo looks like highly modified M-1 Abrams tanks. What is their function?



Date: 08/13/17 14:08
Re: More UP coast line military train stuff, and pix of high/wide
Author: pdt

kilroydiver Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thanks for posting these. Every time I pass
> through the area, all I see are empty tracks.
> Great to see actual train movements on them.
>
> Dave

East Garrison seems to get cars about once a year. Sometimes a unit train, sometimes just a few cars..brought down by the local.

Camp roberts....in the last 15+ years....there have only been 2 series of movements on the tracks...both for extensive exercises (c. 2014 and 2016ish. . Each exercise involved 1 or 2 unit trains of equipment that was unloaded for the exercise, and then reloaded back on the flat cars and shipped out. Each time there were 4-6 movements on base trackage.
This time was kind of a fluke...train was really for east garrison, but 1 car was set out on base trackage due broken door on vehicle, hanging off to side. Once it was discovered, I guess UP decided they werent taking the car anywhere...not even 3 miles to east garrison.



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/13/17 22:35 by pdt.



Date: 08/13/17 14:44
Re: More UP coast line military train stuff, and pix of high/wide
Author: dualrated2

1019X Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The last photo looks like highly modified M-1
> Abrams tanks. What is their function?


M1150 Assault Breacher Vehicle. Mine and explosive clearance.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assault_Breacher_Vehicle



Date: 08/13/17 18:55
Re: More UP coast line military train stuff, and pix of high/wide
Author: upkpfan

The 1st pic. is not loading ramps. As stated that is a portable bridge. upkpfan



Date: 08/13/17 19:40
Re: More UP coast line military train stuff, and pix of high/wide
Author: PHall

pdt Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> kilroydiver Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Thanks for posting these. Every time I pass
> > through the area, all I see are empty tracks.
> > Great to see actual train movements on them.
> >
> > Dave
>
> East Garrison seems to get cars about once a year.
> Sometimes a unit train, sometimes just a few
> cars..brought down by the local.
>
> Camp roberts....in the last 15+ years....there
> have only been 2 series of movements on the
> tracks...both for extensive exercises (c. 2016 and
> 2016ish. . Each exercise involved 1 or 2 unit
> trains of equipment that was unloaded for the
> exercise, and then reloaded back on the flat cars
> and shipped out. Each time there were 4-6
> movements on base trackage.
> This time was kind of a fluke...train was really
> for east garrison, but 1 car was set out on base
> trackage due broken door on vehicle, hanging off
> to side. Once it was discovered, I guess UP
> decided they werent taking the car anywhere...not
> even 3 miles to east garrison.

No, but the mechanics from the MATES at East Garrison can come over and either repair or remove the offending door.
The car will then be safe for movement to East Garrison.



[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0696 seconds