Home Open Account Help 395 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > BNSF on the Oregon Electric

Date: 08/14/17 12:02
BNSF on the Oregon Electric
Author: VicNeves

After a successful deadhead to Eugene on Sunday with a P&W unit, the geometry inspection train returned north through Albany Oregon on Monday, August 14 with BNSF 2085 on the point. Following Water St to the OE Junction, then heading north to Salem and beyond. This track is owned by the BNSF and leased to the Genesee & Wyoming (Portland & Western).
This is a rare daylight move.The only other train that operates through here is the daily nocturnal Eugene to Albany and return hauler. Usually shows up here around midnight.
Vic Neves photos

Date: 08/14/17 12:29
Re: BNSF on the Oregon Electric
Author: gobbl3gook

That building is pretty close to the tracks. I added it to this thread.

https://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?1,1957862

Ted in OR

Date: 08/14/17 12:05
BNSF on the Oregon Electric part 2

One more shot of the BNSF geometry inspection train further north along Water St on the P&W (OE) in Albany Oregon on 8-14-17.

Date: 08/14/17 12:07
Re: BNSF on the Oregon Electric part 2

That's the P&W (former SP Toledo branch in the background.

Date: 08/14/17 13:59
Author: icancmp193

The nerve of these railroads...running everything at night!

TJY

Date: 08/14/17 14:09
Author: PERichardson

And one of the GP38s that were almost delivered in SP&S colors

Date: 08/14/17 14:38
Author: upbuddyboy

Worked north from Salem to Quinaby and back then went north on the UP at Labish to Van about 1400
Brian

Posted from iPhone

Date: 08/14/17 16:00
Author: weather

Excellent shots Vic!

Date: 08/14/17 17:39
Author: roustabout

gobbl3gook Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> That building is pretty close to the tracks. I
> added it to this thread.
>
> https://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?1,
> 1957862
>
> Ted in OR

It is. Reach out and touch someone! It's a lawyer's office IIRC.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/14/17 19:08 by roustabout.

Date: 08/14/17 20:42
Author: nomosantafe

PERichardson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> And one of the GP38s that were almost delivered in
> SP&S colors

I don't mean to nitpick, but this unit was not an SP&S ordered unit.

The BN 2072 - 2077 were the units ordered by the SP&S and delivered as BN units.

Here's a shot of the last BNSF train on the Eugene - Albany line, taken on December 27, 2002.

It's the last NB "Hauler" (Eugene-Albany) at Pirtle, OR. The building is the old substation from the electric days. This section of track, Albany-American still had the original rail (70 pound, I think) from the "Trolley Era" that was laid in 1910-11.

2nd shot taken at the same location as Vic's photos.

The next day, the Portland and Western took over operation of the OE Sub from Salem to Eugene.

The Hauler usually ran with 1 or 2 Geeps, but also had the Eugene Switcher in the consist making it 3 units on this day.

The weather (rainy and dark) made this an appropriately somber setting for this occasion. This was the last train BNSF train to operate south of Albany.

Nomosantafe
Portland, Oregon
"Pacific Wonderland"

Date: 08/15/17 08:31
Author: grafvonb49

Lovely shots, all. In the mid-late 70s the OE power was a couple of RS11s and I found them idling on a short spur not far north of where the OE crossed the Coos Bay line one dismal, chilly and overcast Eugene afternoon, idling and emitting a foul-smelling, low-hanging black particulate fog. Alcos!! Singing the irregular thumping exhaust bumpity bump song. One of the two was in BN green/black but the other was still in SP&S dirty yellow/black, IIRC. Thanks again for kicking my nostalgia button.

Grafvonb49

Date: 08/15/17 08:57
Author: OregonOldGuy

Great shots Vic. And to think I was southbound ON I-5 near that time! Didn't see even one train on our 278 mile trip of the day. Did you get shots of them ducking under the Toledo Branch? Hard to do if you were on the bridge for the first shots, although the 10 mph limit makes it easier. Truely a once every ten yers kind of catch!

Rob

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0573 seconds