Home Open Account Help 336 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > A change of scenery

Date: 08/15/17 13:00
A change of scenery
Author: PALuvR

Mountain vistas and clear running water? Not a chance -this is Texas after all. But I got some shots at 2 locations other than the usual Bergstrom. Coming home from San Marcos this morning, I saw the NB 28 Local stopped at UP Jct. (MP 212 on the UP Austin Sub). It had left Jama, a small 4-track ex-Katy yard on Main #2. I thought I could catch it in Kyle so I hopped off I-35 and drove into town.
First train through was a short manifest led by a lone SD70M. It had come up out of San Antonio and had come up Main #1 through San Marcos. Then came the Local heading to do switching at Texas Lehigh Cement and a building supply company in Buda.

1. UP 4188 leading a short manifest out of Mexico
2-3. 28 Local led by a standard cab SD60 with 9 empty cement hoppers and 2 loaded centerbeam flats.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/15/17 16:20 by PALuvR.

Date: 08/15/17 13:11
Re: A change of scenery
Author: PALuvR

Since I was in Kyle anyway, I drove the 4 miles north to Buda to check on the ethanol loads from yesterday. I found the DPU shoving the 2nd half of the train into the unloading track. There's no real close road access except at the north end where shot #4 was taken. I got a close look at the tankers and they are new, built 06-17 and 03-17 (as was observed yesterday). From Google Earth, 2 unloading tracks can be seen. It appears that the head end power takes the 1st half of the train into the unloading track and the DPU shoves the other half into the adjacent track for unloading.

I appreciate y'all taking a look. Thanks

Mike

4. DPU shoving into unloading track
5. Texas Lehigh Cement on the east side of the Austin Sub main
6. Cars and storage tank. On the far right edge of the shot, the head end power and buffer car can be seen (barely)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/15/17 13:18 by PALuvR.

Date: 08/15/17 13:44
Author: Ritzville

Interesting series today Mike. Nice to see all that older power in action along with the ACe.

Larry

Date: 08/15/17 13:56
Author: SP8595

Nice to see the standard cab SD60!

Date: 08/15/17 20:30
Author: SCKP187

Nice new scenery---always like to see shots of the locals working and the power they use.
Brian Stevens

Date: 08/16/17 08:13
Author: oklachaser

Nice photos.

Ronda Thomas

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0439 seconds