Home Open Account Help 401 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Alamosa, CO Freight Traffic?

Date: 08/16/17 12:08
Alamosa, CO Freight Traffic?
Author: cinder

Will someone please give me the current freight traffic in and out of Alamosa, CO......if any? Thanks in advance.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/16/17 15:40 by cinder.

Date: 08/16/17 17:20
Re: Alamosa, CO Freight Traffic?
Author: CPRR

Good question, I would like to know also

Posted from iPhone

Date: 08/16/17 20:42
Author: SD45X

Spuds still going out.

Date: 08/16/17 20:55
Author: drgw0579

when I was working in Antonito two weeks ago, the local came down Monday-Wednesday-Friday. A fair amount of rock and perlite appears to be shipping. At least it looked like they were hauling out covered hoppers, maybe they were being stored. In my experience, they put together the train for Walsenberg in the evening, but hopefully someone else has better information..

Bill Kepner

Date: 08/17/17 06:44
Author: Earlk

drgw0579 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> when I was working in Antonito two weeks ago, the
> local came down Monday-Wednesday-Friday. A fair
> amount of rock and perlite appears to be shipping.
> At least it looked like they were hauling out
> covered hoppers, maybe they were being stored. In
> my experience, they put together the train for
> Walsenberg in the evening, but hopefully someone
> else has better information..
>
> Bill Kepner

It's been a tri-weekly operation for some time now, and has been since the recession a few years back. The UP cut the connecting local out of Pueblo to tri-weekly, and the SLRG followed suit.

There was a strike at the Harborlite perlite plant about 2009. While the strike was on, Harborlite simply increased production at other plants. When the strike was settled, and production resumed, it never came back to previous levels. At one time Harobrlite was loading 25 cars a day five days a week. Combined with other traffic, we were having to leave up to 10 loads a night behind because of tonnage limitation up the west side of La Veta Pass. This resulted in daytime La Veta freight turns as well as weekend runs over the hill. In addition to this, we were running a 7 day a week passenger schedule. Things were seriously busy.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0384 seconds