Home Open Account Help 379 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > When did the U.P. sell off this miniature passenger train?

Date: 09/16/17 17:04
When did the U.P. sell off this miniature passenger train?
Author: JoCoLB

I was a first-time visitor today (Saturday, Sept. 16, 2017) at the annual McLouth (KS) Threshing Bee and I discovered a Union Pacific Railroad miniature passenger train in operation on the grounds of the exhibition.

A friend of mine later told me that this train was formerly owned by the U.P. and it was used at various celebrations on the U.P. system. He even produced a picture showing it being used at a community event in Osawatomie, Kan., in 1983. The train's engine number (961) has never been changed during the past 34 years.

I have been unable to find any background on this miniature train. I'd be interested in knowing when the McLouth community made its acquisition of the train. I'd also like to know how many years the U.P. owned it before it was sold.

All historical background or details on the four-car train will be appreciated.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/16/17 17:15 by JoCoLB.

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 09/16/17 17:23
Re: When did the U.P. sell off this miniature passenger train?
Author: Copy19

That's not the Union Pacific parade train, which as far as I know is still used by UP. I have no info on the train in the video.

John Bromley - Omaha

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/16/17 19:02 by Copy19.

Date: 09/16/17 17:26
Author: PHall

The UP Parade train was about twice the size of that train and it ran on rubber tires.
Your friend is very mistaken and probably should buy you a beer or two for leading you astray.

Date: 09/16/17 17:44
Author: drgw0579

This is the train I think we're talking about. Downtown Cheyenne, July 1986.

Bill Kepner

Date: 09/16/17 17:46
Author: Ray_Murphy

I've had this picture of the UP parade train in my files for a few years. It's from the web (it might have been posted here at TO, but I can't find the OP).

Ray

Larry Byers (JoCoLB) took this photo, as noted in the next post down.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/16/17 18:13 by Ray_Murphy.

Date: 09/16/17 17:58

The 956 parade train photo above was taken by me during a 1987 Centennial celebration in Herington, Kansas. It should state (Photo by Larry Byers)

The train I videod today at McLouth was definitely formerly owned by the U.P. My friend is a retired U.P. engineer and worked out of Osawatomie, KS, most of his career. He showed me a photo of the small train (951) and its portable track in Osawatomie. He remembered A former road foreman of engines, the late Charles "Sonny" Freeman of Osawatomie, being instrumental in getting the train taken to Osawatomie for a special community event. My friend's wife photographed their children on the train.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/17/17 07:09 by JoCoLB.

Date: 09/16/17 18:03

The former Missouri Pacific Railroad also owed a "Baby Colorado Eagle" passenger train for parade use that the U.P. inherited, but I believe it was also sold off instead of being repainted in a Union Pacific Railroad color scheme. Correct me if I'm wrong on the sale of the "Baby Eagle."

Date: 09/16/17 18:19
Author: lynnpowell

It appears to be a Minature Train Company (of Rensselaer, IN) G16 train set. Approximately 250 of them were built between 1948 and 1963 (per an article on the company that I found on the web). They would paint them for any railroad that the purchaser requested. I found photos on the web of these minature F3s in around twenty different prototype paint schemes. I know of two in my area, one in Santa Fe warbonnet and the other in SP black widow.

Date: 09/16/17 18:51

Latest update: I've learned this miniature train at McLouth was being loaned out for the outdoor event by the National Agricultural Center and Hall of Fame at nearby Bonner Springs, Kan. The miniature train has been featured at the National Ag Center for many years. I don't think it was ever owned by the Union Pacific Railroad. Perhaps if it was observed at Osawatomie, Kan., 34 years ago, maybe it was also on loan at that time.

Someone with Bonner Springs connections possibly influenced the U.P. color scheme when the train originally started being used at the National Ag Center. The U.P. has a double main line through Bonner Springs on the route between Kansas City and Topeka.

Date: 09/16/17 19:50
Author: Bob3985

The only two mini trains the UP had were not that one. The freight train pictured was the train put together in the 1950's and still exists today in the shed here in Cheyenne. The Little Rock Shop built another mini train that was a passenger train including dome cars. Last I heard it went down to Texas and was never heard from again. I have photos of both trains but will have to dig for them.

Bob Krieger
Cheyenne, WY

Date: 09/16/17 20:33

How often is the one in Cheyenne used? UtahRails.net says the equipment was built in 1956. In addition, the former Missouri Pacific mini-train is in a museum in Galveston, Texas.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/16/17 21:09 by JoCoLB.

Date: 09/17/17 04:59
Author: Bob3985

JoCoLB Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> How often is the one in Cheyenne used?
> UtahRails.net says the equipment was built in
> 1956. In addition, the former Missouri Pacific
> mini-train is in a museum in Galveston, Texas.

Well, at one time they traveled about the system appearing in many parades and at many events.
However, lately they have been mothballed. I heard it was from budget cuts.

Bob Krieger
Cheyenne, WY

Date: 09/17/17 08:15
Author: BAB

I agree as they still produce the same equipment shells today and are available in several different gauges. Seems that they are running rather fast also bad deal if it derails.

Date: 09/17/17 17:58
Author: jimbokat

I can remember in Chicago , the Riverview park and other kiddie land parks had trains like this.I also remember riding them but not that fast.

Date: 02/14/21 20:03
Author: RickSpeck

I saw a U.P. mini train with rubber wheels that could be driven on the street at the Galveston Railroad Museum last summer.  There was a dome car with it also.   The number on the engine was 7005.  Could that be one build in the North Little Rock Shop as a Missouri Pacific mini train that was repainted at a U.P. unit?  

Date: 02/15/21 11:59
Author: grahamline

The UPHS Streamliner magazine ran a Don Strack article on Union Pacific's parade trains in Vol. 21, #3 (Summer 2007) and I suspect much of the same infornation is on his website at https://utahrails.net/

Don's history goes back to 1898 with a 4-4-0 numbered 890 running on 9.5" gauge track. There are mentions of others from 1927 and 1930 including a 2-2-0 carrying various numbers matched to the year which was used 1927 to 1955. There are photos of a rubber-tired M-10000 , then the "956" which was hauled from one event to another in special boxcars (903014 and 903015, later renumbered 95555 and 95556).   A rubber tired freight train appeared at a UP historical society covention in Cheyenne in 2009 or Boise in 2010, carried in a specially fitted Nascar-style tractor trailer rig after the train had been overhauled. Mr. Krieger would know about that. The magazine should be available at UPHS.org.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/15/21 12:05 by grahamline.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0647 seconds