Home Open Account Help 264 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Route 66 Update

Date: 09/24/17 14:32
Route 66 Update
Author: callum_out

Route 66 is blockaded and closed Westbound at Fenner, not sure where the West end of the closure might
be but it's closed just West of the bottom end of the Fenner offramp. They are finally finishing the I-40
bridgework and should have all lanes open by midweek.

Out

Date: 09/24/17 18:50
Re: Route 66 Update
Author: daniel3197

For those who do not know the area,
Fenner California is approx 35 road miles west of Needles CA
This is in the Mojave Desert in far southeastern California USA.
This is on the former ATSF Needles District mainline ,now BNSF, from Barstow to Needles in southern California
Thak you VERY much for the update ,callum out, on this very intersting part of Calfornia.

Here is the wikipedia entry for Femmer, California :
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fenner,_California

---Daniel

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/24/17 18:55 by daniel3197.

Date: 09/24/17 19:11
Author: hotrail

How honored Gov. Fenner of Rhode Island must have felt, to have this location named after him.
I have driven through there chasing trains on Route 66. Was there ever anything there, other than a siding or a train order station?

Date: 09/24/17 19:25
Author: andrewamtrak

The road closed signs start at Kelbaker Rd on the West side, Several bridges East of the location are washed out. I drove it on Friday and the area is passable in an SUV.

Date: 09/24/17 19:37

Interesting, I'd been under the impression that those bridges had been fixed, obviously not.

Out

Date: 09/24/17 19:55
Author: PHall

Route 66 out there in the desert is not an exactly a priority for the San Bernardino County Road Department.
Very little through traffic, mostly local traffic and most of them have vehicles that can handle the river crossings.

Date: 09/25/17 08:55

Someone a while back had posted that it was repaired and wide open, yah maybe from Fenner to Goffs.

Out

Date: 09/25/17 10:18
Author: exhaustED

Is Cadiz accessible by car from the west? Thanks in advance.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/25/17 11:37 by exhaustED.

Date: 09/25/17 12:14

Good question because if the barricade is at Kelbaker Rd you're going to have to drive around it to
get to Cadiz. Haven't been out there lately but doubt there's any bridge damage between there and
Cadiz so the road is likely technically open for local traffic.

Out

Date: 09/25/17 18:23
Author: ProAmtrak

callum_out Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Someone a while back had posted that it was
> repaired and wide open, yah maybe from Fenner to
> Goffs.
>
> Out

Must've been after August because when I got off 40 to get a bit of fuel to get me to Kingman it was still closed just south of the stop sign!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0374 seconds