Home Open Account Help 324 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > On the Spine Line near Chariton, IA

Date: 09/24/17 16:33
On the Spine Line near Chariton, IA
Author: twjurgens

Our son was taking a trip to Chariton, IA this weekend to go to a farm sale with my sister's husband. He asked if I wanted to ride along and of course I did! We don't get over there often and it's a good chance to railfan in some different territory. Yeah, it was hot there too! No standing in the sun at a farm sale for me! The air conditioner and a soft seat in the Explorer seemed like a better choice.

At Williamson, northeast of Chariton, UP 8687, 7218, and 7071 were on the head end of a southbound, loaded sand train. Williamson sets at the top of a very long and steep grade for southbounds. The 3 engines on the head end and dpu 5853 were working hard to get to the top of the hill. I would imagine that the up and down profile of this former Rock Island line makes moving a heavy train like this difficult.

Because of the hills and fact that the train would have to slow going through Chariton, I headed down Highway 14 south of Chariton. Caught this train again at Millerton, which is 9 or 10 miles south of Chariton. I lucked into a crossing that looked like it would be a good spot for pics. Glad I'm not still paying for film and processing! A lot of pixels were burned at Williamson and Millerton.

(more)

Date: 09/24/17 16:37
Re: On the Spine Line near Chariton, IA
Author: twjurgens

The first shot here is of the dpu on the sand train. Definitely starting to see some hints of fall in the trees.

Later in the afternoon, UP 5421, 4330, and 9496 had a southbound mixed freight going by the former Rock Island depot at Chariton.

The UP trains on this trip were a real treat. I don't often see trains on that line over there. Most of the trains are southbounds and timing is everything!

Date: 09/24/17 17:13
Author: AndyBrown

Nice to see the old depot is still there. Good photos of a line that's not always easy to get traffic on.

Andy

Date: 09/24/17 19:11
Author: SCKP187

Nice photos. I like the framing of the DPU shot as well. I stopped by that depot a couple of years ago too.
Brian Stevens

Date: 09/25/17 07:07
Author: oklachaser

Really nice series of photos. I especially like 2 & 3.

Ronda Thomas

Date: 09/25/17 07:57
Author: ntharalson

To add info for those who might be intrested: The former Rock Island crosses UNDER the former CB&Q, now BNSF
on the south side of Chariton (Share' it on.) It's in a deep cut and right under, well JUST north of the US34
overpass of the entire business. It's very hard to photograph, I haven't done it, and is almost always in
shadow. The former Q has it's own attractions in this southern Iowa community.

Nice photos, Tom, thanks for posting.

Nick Tharalson,
Marion, IA

Date: 09/25/17 09:27
Author: MILW86A

The Trenton Sub handles mostly southbound trains. Most northbound traffic goes up the Falls City to Omaha/CB then across the E/W main to KC Jct then down. There is one NB train on the Spine that goes to Des Moines I think out of North Little Rock.  I dont have any good connections with UP here in town anymore like I once did(most of them retired).

Good photos. Thanks for sharing.

MILW86A

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0485 seconds