Home Open Account Help 329 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > on the road again . .

Date: 09/24/17 18:25
on the road again . .
Author: 3rdswitch

. . . started the day out packing my things in a hurry and taking off in pursuit of the first train of the morning that snuck up on me. Fortunately for me he stopped in downtown Winona for a some work so I was able to catch him at the first siding east of Winona, Homer (top) the train is the daily H20 local from the "Cities" to La Crosse. Here it is entering Wisconsin coming across the Mississippi River at CP West Wye (middle). Right on his block was a unit ethanol train coming off the exMILW river line south to Sabula also at West Wye (bottom) . . only SIX more to come . . .

Re: on the road again . .

. . . met up with a couple of fans at the La Crosse Amtrak depot, one our very own rrartist catching the yard job switching the outbound H19 train at the depot (top) then after a bit the outbound Waseca train #471 departed the yard passing the depot from an adjacent overpass (middle), couldn't help but chuckle seeing the car in the first parking spot reminded me of the old seventies movie "Shaft", then after a lengthy wait, fortunately there was a tree close by providing shade while up there, the westbound H19 local departed the yard also at the depot (bottom) . . . last THREE . . .

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/24/17 19:55 by 3rdswitch.

. . . with the yard at La Crosse plugged the inbound power off the H20 local tied up on a spur just west of the Amtrak depot where the west unit in the consist sat in perfect hard to pass up roster light (top) I am told this is one of only two exDME GP's left in this scheme. It MAY lead out of here tomorrow? After attempting to check in at my motel and told it would be awhile before rooms available headed over the BNSF yard then a little north in Onalaska where an eastbound that had been sitting a few miles north of the yard FINALLY came into sight after having a lineup for nearly and hour (middle). Knowing a westbound train on the CP had just passed through headed across the river back into MN hoping to catch him which I did adjacent the nice viewing platform in Dakota (bottom). Not a very busy day on either railroad but plenty of sunshine, plenty of activity and STILL PLENTY OF HEAT!
JB

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/24/17 18:36 by 3rdswitch.

Date: 09/24/17 18:46
Author: SanJoaquinEngr

Fantastic work... Joe

Posted from Android

Date: 09/24/17 18:52
Author: Ritzville

Very NICE series!

Larry

Date: 09/24/17 19:00
Author: CNW8531

Good shots! You really had a great trip and perfect weather to boot! Sure love all those standard cab units you've caught over the last few days.

Date: 09/24/17 19:17
Author: SCKP187

Nice work--all of them are awesome--really like the LaCrosse depot shots from the bridge.
Brian Stevens

Date: 09/24/17 19:21
Author: GBW309

Brian sez: Nice work--all of them are awesome--really like the LaCrosse depot shots from the bridge.

I second that. I love that area. Nice shots!

Dave

Date: 09/24/17 19:28
Author: PasadenaSub

Great pictures, JB. So the yard job at La Crosse was the 2201 by itself? It's on the point of H19 in #4 and then gone in #6.

Rich

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/24/17 19:29 by PasadenaSub.

Date: 09/24/17 19:53

Thanks, and yes.
JB

Date: 09/25/17 06:20
Author: ns1000

GREAT pics!! Thanks for posting.

Date: 09/25/17 06:54
Author: cozephyr

Wonderful day especially wrapping it up with CSXT along the Mississippi River!

Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> . . . with the yard at La Crosse plugged the
> inbound power off the H20 local tied up on a spur
> just west of the Amtrak depot where the west unit
> in the consist sat in perfect hard to pass up
> roster light (top) I am told this is one of only
> two exDME GP's left in this scheme.-!

...westbound train on the CP had just passed through headed
> across the river back into MN hoping to catch him
> which I did adjacent the nice viewing platform in
> Dakota (bottom). Not a very busy day on either
> railroad but plenty of sunshine, plenty of
> activity and STILL PLENTY OF HEAT!

Cool & rainy back here in Colorado...

Date: 09/25/17 07:10
Author: oklachaser

Great photos.

Ronda Thomas

Date: 09/25/17 10:23
Author: SP8595

Another nice series with Great weather! Gray and ugly in CO

Date: 09/25/17 13:43
Author: SD80MACfan

The location in that first photo looks familiar. It looks like the location of a photo used for the opening spread on a Trains Magazine article about the I&M Rail Link. I believe that was the September, 2000 issue. Month might be wrong but I know the year is right.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0594 seconds