Home Open Account Help 321 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > A few views from a Private car trip on the UP Coast on Saturday..

Date: 10/16/17 18:29
A few views from a Private car trip on the UP Coast on Saturday..
Author: PasadenaSub

As mentioned by Gyralite on Saturday, I had the pleasure of riding the 2 cars added onto Amtrak Surfliner 763 from Los Angeles to San Luis Obispo this past Saturday:

https://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?4,4396895

Santa Fe Lounge Acoma and CB&Q California Zephyr dome Silver Splendor carried our 59-person group for a 13-hour adventure along the former SP Coastline. We had originally had a 1hr, 45 minute layover scheduled in SLO, but we lost a lot of time stopped at the Ventura station due to a trespasser strike involving the Surfliner ahead of us in Santa Barbara, Train 1761. We wound up getting 10 minutes to stretch legs before heading back south, but the great food, service, and hospitality aboard the cars more than made up for the short layover.

Here's a few images from out the window and inside the train.

1) Amtrak Southwest Chief #3 having arrived into LA Union Station

2) Out the vestibule while stopped at Simi Valley.

3) UP Guadalupe Local power in its namesake city. Both are ex-SP GP40-2s.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/16/17 18:36 by PasadenaSub.

Date: 10/16/17 18:32
Re: A few views from a Private car trip on the UP Coast on Saturd

4) SP Water cars in Guadalupe

5) Meeting southbound Amtrak #11 passing us in the siding at Calendar while we held the main.

6) Helpers in San Luis Obispo in the sweet afternoon light, as seen from the vestibule of Acoma.

Date: 10/16/17 18:35

7) Private Car Acoma, built in 1936 for Santa Fe's original streamlined Super Chief set.

8) Sunset near Gaviota, in the dome of Silver Splendor - as the retired honoree looks on.

Rich

Date: 10/17/17 06:05
Author: UPJeff

Great pics, and what a great trip it was. I guess when I talked to people on the train I should have asked if they were on TrainOrders.

Jeff Smith
Lakewood, CA
RailMaster Hobbies

Date: 10/17/17 06:18
Author: mile250

The new Surfliner schedule has its critics, but it has at least one advantage: When the train is on time, riders on the northbound, midday train LA - SLO have plenty of time to visit the San Luis Obispo Railroad Museum about 1/4 mile south of the Amtrak station, before returning south.

Date: 10/17/17 16:46
Author: SDA_Brakeman

Thanks for the pictures of my Car! We love going up the coast. So much great scenery
Sincerely,
James Caestecker
Co-Owner Silver Splendor

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0577 seconds