Home Open Account Help 198 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Coos Bay Rail Link Derailment near Coquille

Date: 10/28/17 18:36
Coos Bay Rail Link Derailment near Coquille
Author: WOPRJim

The Mrs talked me into going with her and her friend this afternoon to a quilt show in Coquille, and on the way down Highway 42 we passed a derailment site just South of the old "Coaledo" station site (mp 779.6) back in the SP days. It appears train was headed Northbound back towards Coos Bay after switching the Roseburg Lumber Mill just North of Coquille. There is a string of three boxcars a little South of the location of the photos, around the bend. I didn't see an engine between the site and the mill. It looks like which ever way it was moving it pushed outwards against the outer track on the curve.
Photo #1 shows CBRL #3877 and the site of the derailment.The near end of the Tbox (South end) is off the tracks, as is the North end of the SP boxcar. The flatcar has stacks of ties.
Photo #2 shows the sand ramp constructed for access, a section of panel track and some new loose ties, and some old rail sections. Not positive it's connected, but my Fire Department (I'm Chairman of the Board of Directors as well as a volunteer) was called out yesterday for an overturned dump truck carrying sand Southbound on Hwy 42 just a few miles North of the derailment site.
Photo #3 is a closeup shot showing missing track and the TBox truck is below track level.
Jim

Date: 10/29/17 07:30
Re: Coos Bay Rail Link Derailment near Coquille
Author: funnelfan

Well that is kind of odd looking...as though the boxcar kinda ejected a short section of temporary track.

Ted Curphey
Ontario, OR

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0357 seconds