Home Open Account Help 345 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > CN sampler from Wisconsin

Date: 01/09/18 17:08
CN sampler from Wisconsin
Author: MP90

A few from CN's Waukesha Sub from Friday January 5th. Not much snow, but very cold (near zero). The stretch between Richfield and Fond du Lac is very scenic farm land here in SE Wisconsin. This is single track territory with a number of sidings that make it quite interesting. Byron Hill south of Fond du Lac calls for helpers most of the time, especially in the winter. With the cold weather mid train or end of train DPUs are frequent.

1 & 2. CN 3095 ET44AC on a northbound empty center beam flat train in Marsh siding waits as a Southbound stack train screams by with 8919 SD70M-2.
3. Helpers had just cut off from a southbound at the tiny hamlet of Byron. Very beat up looking SD40-2W 5303 teamed up with much fresher looking 5261. Take a close look at SD40-2W 5261.

Date: 01/09/18 17:18
Re: CN sampler from Wisconsin

4. Note the SD45 like flared radiators. SD40-2W 5261 was test bed LNG unit CN converted a few years ago. Based on the internet search I did, it was to run on diesel fuel in notches 1-3 and LNG in 4-8. There were two of these locos converted with a LNG fuel tender used between them. Don't have any more info on the results of that conversion.
5. A northbound was stopped on the hill waiting to get into Fond du Lac. This BNSF 4348 was the DPU and was blocking Church Rd. which a great spot for photos any direction in the afternoon.
6. The power for this train was BNSF 4087 and CN SD75I 5775. I don't railfan this line a lot, but I don't notice BNSF power much at all on this line.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/09/18 17:54 by MP90.

Date: 01/09/18 17:26

7. Further south at Rugby a northbound auto rack is fast approaching. CN 2563 and what appears to be another SD75I.
8. Passing shot. Shadows were getting long at this time of the day. Caught it just before the signal goes red. This train will meet another at Ackerville in less than 2 minutes. It seemed like an extra busy day. I'm guessing the cold weather slowed everything down and then Byron Hill becomes a bottleneck south of Fond du Lac. Any corrections or additions welcome.

Date: 01/10/18 06:08
Author: oklachaser

Really nice photos.

Ronda Thomas

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0564 seconds