Home Open Account Help 303 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Toto Tuesday: Jeffrey & Uncle Pete

Date: 02/20/18 04:43
Toto Tuesday: Jeffrey & Uncle Pete
Author: santafe199

When I travel from my hometown of Manhattan down to the big city (Kansas State Capitol of Topeka) I usually always take US hwy 24, what we local fans call “railfan highway”. With exception of stretches between Swamp Angel (E of Manhattan) & Wamego, and through north Topeka US 24 faithfully parallels Union Pacific rails all the way to Midland, just north of Lawrence. Whenever a headlight is spotted it’s nothing to double back a few miles to get some shots before resuming one’s trek over this non-Interstate highway.

Back on the 11th I was headed east and had just such an occurrence. UP’s local ‘MTPTP’ was doing station work at the Nemaha County Co-op elevator in tiny Belvue, KS. When I pulled up the crew was just performing their air test after picking up a couple of cars. I got a shot with the massive Jeffrey Energy Center complex looming in the background. Jeffrey is served by Uncle Pete from off the Topeka ~ Marysville main line.

Getting this first shot I felt like some sneaky RR official out observing a crew at work. The difference was the train actually appeared to be hiding in the weeds. But those guys know my car by now. I usually always get a friendly toot or wave. I doubled back to a spot just west of town. I got another sequence of shots from about half way up the east ramp of the highway 24 overpass over the good ol’ KP. Just another pleasant diversion to have some fun with Kansas prairie railfanning …

1. UP 6567 on local Junction City turn (train ‘MTPTP’) in air test mode at the Co-op elevator.

2. The TPTP leaving town. To the motorist unawares: “Smile, you’re on Candid railfan Camera!

3. The 6567 ~ 6357 in easy acceleration with the Jeffrey plant getting into the act one more time.
(3 photos taken on a crisp February 11, 2018 at Belvue, KS)

Thanks for riding along!
Lance Garrels
santafe199

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/20/18 04:47 by santafe199.

Date: 02/20/18 06:23
Re: Toto Tuesday: Jeffrey & Uncle Pete
Author: Bob3985

Nice capture of the Jeffrey Energy Center in the distance. You should be up here Lance when we get an occasional cool/cold humid day and the Holly Frontier refinery becomes impressive with its display of steam. A couple of years ago they installed a new scrubber tower and I have dubbed it my honorary steam locomotive.

Bob Krieger
Cheyenne, WY

Date: 02/20/18 06:24
Author: SCKP187

The 2 6000s elephant style look good with Jeffrey condensation in the background. A working local out on the plains--always a pleasure.
Brian Stevens

Date: 02/20/18 06:39
Author: bmarti7

Thanks Lance - pure Kansas winter.

BB

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0399 seconds