Home Open Account Help 285 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > UP Lordsburg Sub. crew district question??

Date: 02/21/18 18:05
UP Lordsburg Sub. crew district question??
Author: Contax645

I'm visiting beautiful Lordsburg, New Mexico for the first time this week. I thought that all trains changed crews here. Obviously they don't. Can anyone fill me in on what the current districts out here are? Inquiring minds want to know.

Thank you all in advance.

Gary

Posted from iPhone

Date: 02/21/18 18:09
Re: UP Lordsburg Sub. crew district question??
Author: TexBob

El Paso, now Santa Teresa, to Tucson has been the run for 20+ years.

Robert Pierce
Sugar Land, TX
SWRails.com

Date: 02/21/18 18:58
Author: callum_out

I guess (needs correction??) that the last Lordsburg crew assignment was the branch to Clifton.

Out

Date: 02/21/18 19:20
Author: goneon66

is there still a "short pool" for lordsburg-tucson?

Date: 02/22/18 07:43

Good question, would think that Benson, Bowie and Lordsburg are operated by a turn out of Tucson, be
interesting to find out.

Out

Date: 02/22/18 09:21
Author: BCHellman

callum_out Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I guess (needs correction??) that the last
> Lordsburg crew assignment was the branch to
> Clifton.
>
> Out

I'm not even sure of that. Towards the end I believe the crew was El Paso based and they were sent by carryall to Lordsburg.

Date: 02/22/18 09:23
Author: BCHellman

goneon66 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> is there still a "short pool" for
> lordsburg-tucson?
>
> 66

No. Once the 2 main tracks were completed, no need for a short pool.

Date: 02/22/18 10:43
Author: sp3204

There is a pool that works Tucson to Lordsburg. On the engineers side, it is designated the RE72. It looks
like it catches just a couple of manifest trains. It also appears that it is the pool that has been taking
the long stored locomotives out of Pantano (over 300), and going east with 6 a day, Monday through Friday
if crews are available. At Lordsburg they turn the trains over to a short pool crew counterpart out of
El Paso.

Date: 02/22/18 11:57

Interesting, my question was who was working the G&W and Benson interchanges, might be that mentioned
Tucson pool.

Out

Date: 02/22/18 12:52
Author: spider1319

During the final months or year the Cifton Local was run two days per week with a crew carryalled out of El Paso.When photograghing the UP Local the Conductor told me he looked forward to the sale as he would no longer have to stand for this work.Bill Webb

Date: 02/22/18 13:04

It's surprising that they could have done a DH both ways and the branch turn in under twelve hours.

Out

Date: 02/22/18 13:36
Author: spider1319

Rich.If I remember correctly,they ran the train to Clifton on Tuesday. Back to Lordsburg Wedsnesday then up to Clifton on Thursday and return to Lordsburg on Friday.Return to El paso after the run on Friday.The service to Clifton remained like this until the Arizona Eastern took over.The guys on the board at El Paso wanted to work thru freight not these kind of jobs.Bill Webb

Date: 02/22/18 13:46

It's an interesting question since an El Paso to Tucson pool probably would be turn limited due to mileage. The Clifton
job would pay a straight day (plus on days they DHed) so the money wouldn't be too bad.

Out

Date: 02/27/18 02:49
Author: Soo715

On Arizona Eastern crews work Safford, AZ to Lordsburg (I think as a turn from Safford), perhaps two times a week. Not sure about the frequency of the Moreni/Clifton line and whether crews are based in Lordsburg or not.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0442 seconds