Home Open Account Help 339 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Tehachapi Derailment - The Last Stranded Train

Date: 02/22/18 12:04
Tehachapi Derailment - The Last Stranded Train
Author: SCUfoamer

As most of you know, there was a derailment at Cable on Tehachapi pass. My grandpa and I made it to Bakersfield about 36/40 hours after the derailment not knowing what to expect. Luckily trains were moving across the pass, but we came across a loaded lumber drag sitting on the siding at Bena. The train was led by a Tier 4 ACE UP 3027 and but dead on the siding behind a derail. This had us thinking that trains were still sitting all over the pass waiting for the clean up crew to reopen the line. Luckily trains were moving and it seemed like UP3027 was the last stranded train on the pass. Hopefully it would move soon.

1. UP 3027 sitting at Bena Siding

2. Santa Fe boxcar sitting upside down at Cable

3. Crews work to salvage cases of wine spilled from the derailment.

Date: 02/22/18 12:18
Re: Tehachapi Derailment - The Last Stranded Train
Author: SCUfoamer

I was able to see trains moving on the pass, so maybe UP3027 was just unlucky. I wrote it off and had a productive day shooting trains on the pass. We ended our evening at the Best Western in downtown Tehachapi and called it a night. I woke up a 6am for some sunrise trains and headed to Keene to survey the morning's activity. As I crossed the tracks on 58 and Woodford Siding I saw an Eastbound manifest heading toward the loop. I exited at Keene and hauled ass back to the Eastside of Woodford to photograph the train. Lo and Behold! it was UP 3027 finally moving 16 hours later!

1. UP3027 climbs out of Woodford Siding towards the Tehachapi Loop at 7:00 AM on a cold and snowy day 2/19/18

UP3027 didn't make it very far. The train rode Yellow lights through downtown Tehachapi, past Monolith and then stopped just feet behind another Eastbound UP manifest sitting at Cameron. I was able to go back to the hotel, pack up, eat breakfast, and drive East to Warren to catch the train moving through Warren above Mojave.

2. UP3027 heads out of Mojave towards Palmdale at 11am 2/19/18

I don't know forsure, but it seemed like UP finally realized that this train needed to get to West Colton, after it's hold at Cameron, the train maintained track speed all of the way through Cajon Pass. Luckily we were headed to Cajon Pass so I was able to shoot it one last time from Hill 582.

3. UP3027 glides down hill past Hill 582 in Cajon Pass at 2:30pm 2/19/18

So, in the end, it took over 48 hours for UP3027 to make it from Bakersfield to West Colton. All is open on the pass.

Date: 02/22/18 12:31
Author: WP805A

Nice photos Glad you had a great trip to Tehachapi and Cajon Pass with your Grandpa .

Posted from Android

Dave Dodds
San Dimas, CA

Date: 02/22/18 14:25
Author: zchcsse

Great shots! I really like the derailment photos and that Hill 582 shot.

-Tom

Date: 02/22/18 16:12
Author: rdlehmer

Just a note - no siding at Bena; looks to be sitting on Main 1.

Ron

Date: 02/24/18 16:15
Author: fs321a

Nice post and pics.

Since you mentioned the Best Western in Tehachapi I want to advise you to watch your credit card statement. I stayed there in 2016 and had my card info stolen. I was not alone either and it's still a big problem.

Owner is aware and will do nothing at all.

Posted from Android

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0443 seconds