Home Open Account Help 221 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Another Notable Consist With A Bloody Nose Leading Through Tulsa

Date: 03/15/18 17:46
Another Notable Consist With A Bloody Nose Leading Through Tulsa
Author: BNSF-6432

Tulsa, OK has been quite lucky this month with unusual power arrangements as some may have seen. Today, WATCO's Stillwater Central train offered an interesting lash-up of power as well. I first saw the train while at work in downtown Tulsa. The stars must have been aligned correctly as I happened to get off early without even having to excuse myself! Thanks to that, I rushed home and picked up a brother and a camera to catch the train south of Cherokee Yard. They got stopped at 17th St before going through the yard to line some switches and other than that they got smooth treatment without having to hold for anything else. The NREX units are causing these rock trains to look like their old self, back when Watco couldn't produce a matching set with more than two units. Here's a few locations we caught this one at at.

1) While lining switches at 17th they were in the crossing gate circuit allowing this preliminary "just in case" shot

2) After winding through Cherokee Yard, SLWC 407 passes a QuikTrip convenience store and looks at a hard yellow at West Cherokee.

3) A closer shot at the same location

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/15/18 21:51 by BNSF-6432.

Date: 03/15/18 17:52
Re: Another Notable Consist With A Bloody Nose Leading Through Tu

4) The rear unit, NREX 2761 is another SP survivor, originally Southern and rebuilt in 1994 to a SD40-M. This unit was just delivered to SLWC yesterday via BNSF. Still DIC with papers on the fireman's window

5) A lovely stenciling job on NREX SD40M 2748

6) Approaching 55th Street and CP Norris

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/15/18 18:34 by BNSF-6432.

Date: 03/15/18 18:00
Author: BruceStikkers

Love the upside down N on 2748. Somebody wasn't too careful.

Bruce Stikkers
St. Joseph, IL

Date: 03/15/18 18:15

7&8) Rolling through Bowden, OK a bit under track speed with the 2748 giving some trouble and the NREX 2761 being dead

9) A video from 55th Street back in Tulsa

Taken 3/15/18
PQM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/15/18 18:16 by BNSF-6432.

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 03/15/18 18:23
Author: SP8595

What an Incredible consist and that ex-SP SD40 leader is Way Cool!!

Date: 03/15/18 18:49
Author: Margaret_SP_fan

SP LIVES!! The HLCX is the former SP 8436, an SD40, built in March, 1966, so she is now 52 years old -- and still earning her keep with a good part of her SP heritage unchanged -- at least, in her exterior, complete with SP's iconic thunderbird wings on her nose, and her dynamic brake blister and her plow. (I'm sure her innards have been modified a lot in the past 52 years.)

I am soooooo glad you got these photos of this very interesting lash-up. Thank you very much! (I needed some SP scarlet and grey. :) )

EMD sure built great locomotives back in the day!

Date: 03/15/18 19:24
Author: SCKP187

Patrick, this is really cool with all the standard cabs and paint jobs in this consist. Well done.
Brian Stevens

Date: 03/15/18 21:36
Author: SPgoletablock

Best thing I've seen on here in a long time! Ex-SP leader and straight EMDs, great catch.

Date: 03/15/18 22:14
Author: RailRat

Gotta love all them colors!
That Ex-SP on front is great!

Jim Baker
Riverside, CA

Date: 03/16/18 05:48
Author: GBW309

Watco has a diverse roster. It's great to see the success of the short lines and gives the younger generation a taste of railroading before every train was powered by a quartet of indiscernible GE's

Dave

Date: 03/16/18 09:28
Author: tunnelmotor

NREX/UP 2748 is also ex-SP, #8672 (another MKM SD40M-2 rebuild of an SD40, ex-CNW #974 according to Withers).

Date: 03/16/18 12:39
Author: ns1000

Very nice..!!

Date: 03/16/18 15:50
Author: BoilingMan

Call the dog- breakfast is ready!
SR

Nice stuff.

Date: 03/17/18 06:44
Author: oklachaser

Great catch, video & photos Patrick.

Ronda Thomas

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0718 seconds