Home Open Account Help 134 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Tehachapi & Cajon Visit Questions

Date: 04/16/18 10:17
Tehachapi & Cajon Visit Questions
Author: cinder

Will be railfanning Tehachapi & Cajon for the 15th time (over a 27-year period) in two weeks. I'm very familiar with the areas and have walked the r-o-w from Tehachapi to Caliente in five-mile segments.....bypassing the tunnels! Questions:

1. Any new or more rigorous railroad security on Tehachapi grade? No, I won't be walking the row.
2. Is Hill 582 still readily accessible despite the highway construction?
3. Is the overlook of the crossover at Frost (near Victorville) still accessible?

Here are three pictures from past adventures. The first two are obvious. The third is an eastbound on Sullivan's Curve.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/16/18 10:24 by cinder.

Date: 04/16/18 10:25
Re: Tehachapi & Cajon Visit Questions
Author: kbmiflyer

#2 - Hill 582 was easily accessible when I was there the last week of March. The new highway is now open, just look for the road and the hole in the fence.

Date: 04/16/18 11:26
Author: BobB

The overlook at Frost is plenty accessible. Just turn in where the big "no dumping" sign is and drive to where you want to park your car.

Date: 04/16/18 11:39
Author: cinder

Thanks.....Roadwork will spoil the venue in the future.

Date: 04/16/18 13:57
Author: Curt

We just got back from a 4-day trip to Tehachapi. Didn't encounter any tough security. In fact, yesterday morning a UP high-railer saw us at Caliente, stopped and asked if we were taken pictures, and just said to stay off the tracks. He left with a wave and a smile.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/16/18 17:33 by Curt.

Date: 04/16/18 14:35
Author: bowtie

cinder Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> 2. Is Hill 582 still readily accessible despite
> the highway construction?

A friend and I were there a few months back right before the new highway was opened. I did plot the entrance on Google Maps at coordinates 34.32676, -117.45195

Martin Caestecker
Orange, CA
LARail.com Vintage Streamliners

Date: 04/16/18 17:48
Author: donner_dude1

cinder Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Will be railfanning Tehachapi & Cajon for the 15th
> time (over a 27-year period) in two weeks. I'm
> very familiar with the areas and have walked the
> r-o-w from Tehachapi to Caliente in five-mile
> segments.....bypassing the tunnels! Questions:
>
> 1. Any new or more rigorous railroad security on
> Tehachapi grade? No, I won't be walking the row.

Rusty is gone which is nice. Access is still less than it used to be. Lots of MOW and other workers at various spots so hanging around close to the tracks for more than a train is not recommended. The ranchers in the area are not as kind as well since they've been dealing with cattle thefts so if you have thoughts about jumping a fence..ehh. I like to move around a lot which limits my chances of being called in. I call it hit and run rail fanning. Caliente, Tunnel 2 and just above the loop are favorite places to listen and watch for trains.

> 2. Is Hill 582 still readily accessible despite
> the highway construction?

Was there on Saturday. On the new Highway grade heading east look for a gateless break in the fencing with an American Flag. That would be Parker Ranch Road. The road was rough in spots - if you have a car take car in navigating the access roads. http://www.trainmaster.ch/XC-02.htm

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0619 seconds