Home Open Account Help 334 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Freight car Friday! The MKT and MP

Date: 04/20/18 08:36
Freight car Friday! The MKT and MP
Author: Fiftyfooter

I have seen many mini hoppers over the years, but not like MKT 529 in Green Paint.
These were all in the same train, and there was a nice one in Mopac livery as well.

If you want to know what MKT 529 and the Mopac hopper will look like in the future,
check out their brothers in the new paint.

I prefer the old schemes myself!

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 04/20/18 08:57 by Fiftyfooter.

Date: 04/20/18 08:38
Re: Freight car Friday! The MKT Alive and Well
Author: Fiftyfooter

New MP!

Date: 04/20/18 08:57
Author: UPTRAIN

Fiftyfooter Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
Are there many of
> these Green MKT Hoppers around still?

This is pretty much the only batch left, 500-599, delivered shortly before the UP merger, maybe even the last railcars delivered to the Katy.

If I had to throw out a rough estimate I'd say 70-80 of the initial 100 are still running around in their original green paint. It held up quite well until just a few years ago when the center of the panels started to rust. A few of them actually have had the UP Shield and "Building America" added to the factory paint towards the top right corner.

Here are a couple from 2012 in Kansas City before nature had really started to take a toll.

Pump

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 04/20/18 08:59 by UPTRAIN.

Date: 04/20/18 10:37
Author: tomstp

Those MKT cars were used in hauling cement when new.

Date: 04/20/18 18:52
Author: SCKP187

Several of the MKT cement cars in green are in company sand service on the UP for sand towers on locomotive service tracks.
Brian Stevens

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0417 seconds