Home Open Account Help 257 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > on the road again . .

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

Date: 06/20/18 21:05
on the road again . .
Author: 3rdswitch

. . . but not for long! A very busy morning in Dome Valley. This area is about twenty miles east of Yuma on the former SP Sunset Route. First light of day found a westbound leaving the west siding Kinter headed toward Yuma (top) Not long after an eastbound appeared passing Kinter siding (middle) and not far behind another eastbound is seen passing under the still in service old SP cantilever signal (bottom). The signals are dark as the train has yet to foul the circuit ahead. Sadly this will probably be the last time I will see the old cantilever as the replacements are in place a half mile east. Because of the short distance between this signal and the end of two main tracks at old Dome to the west, this signal as well as next the old SP signal to the east will be replaced by a new set of signals between the two. . . TWELVE more to come . . .

Date: 06/20/18 21:05
Re: on the road again . .

. . . this ninety degree curve is where I always begin my visits early in the morning as it is the only short stretch of track where the sun is good for westbounds for a couple of hours. This morning saw the most west bounds I have ever seen in the morning at seven, and with not too many vantage points it was tough to try for some variety. Most visits see mainly eastbounds which are preferred as there are a lot of spots good for eastbounds in the morning, but I will take what I can get. Second westbound of the morning was this coal empty from Mexico headed for Utah starting around the big curve a mile east of old Dome station (top) followed a half hour later by a one unit wonder baretable train coming (middle) and going (bottom). . . NINE more . . .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/20/18 21:13 by 3rdswitch.

Date: 06/20/18 21:06

. . . fourth and fifth westbound heading around the curve with last another coming a going shot. . . SIX more . . .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/20/18 21:16 by 3rdswitch.

. . . looking like an eastbound, the DPs of the last train were pushing around the curve (top) then westbound number five appeared as a 1x1 auto rack train started around the curve (middle) an eastbound finally appeared but because the last auto rack train stopped to wait for this guy he blocked the shot of the cantilever so I headed a half mile east to this vantage point (bottom). . . last THREE . . .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/20/18 21:20 by 3rdswitch.

. . . another eastbound finally left Yuma shown heading around the other big curve between Kinter and Dome (top) and not far behind the same job I saw yesterday with the same car was headed east (middle) and last but not least, as I said, this will probably be the last time I see this signal which protects the approach to the end of two main tracks (bottom). Both signals in this shot will be removed. All in all a great morning in Dome Valley with arrival back home sometime tomorrow evening. Thanks for looking.
JB

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/20/18 21:25 by 3rdswitch.

Date: 06/20/18 21:37
Author: Ritzville

Thanks for the nice Dome Valley Series! Made me feel like I was still there. Spent over 30 yrs running around that area along with Wellton and Tacna, AZ. Great to see all those old SP searchlights and cantilevers still in operation along with the old pole line. It will be a sad day when those signals are taken down.

Larry

Date: 06/20/18 22:08
Author: mojaveflyer

Great photos and a really nice series of photos. Was it a little toasty out there?

James Nelson
Thornton, CO
www.flickr.com/mojaveflyer

Date: 06/20/18 22:25
Author: callum_out

Nice spot, as to toasty, it was a buck fourteen today.

Out

Date: 06/20/18 23:48
Author: SouthWestRailCams

Nice Series!

Posted from iPhone

SouthWest RailCams
CA, NM, CO, TX, AZ
https://SouthWestRailCams.com

Date: 06/21/18 00:13
Author: Railfan4Christ

I have really enjoyed your postings from your trip, Joe. You always seem to get lots of trains, thanks for sharing your work with us.

Tom

Date: 06/21/18 03:29
Author: KimHeusel

Thanks for sharing photos from your roadtrip. Hope you'll be back on the road soon so we can see more of your shots.

Kim Heusel

Date: 06/21/18 04:38
Author: highgreengraphics

Really great views, my favorites are of the classic cantilever, good call to chronicle that before its upcoming demise. Nice views to wake up to! === === = === JLH

Date: 06/21/18 04:55
Author: valmont

Now that's a great group!!! Thanks Joe!

Date: 06/21/18 05:01
Author: billio

Good Stuff!!

Date: 06/21/18 05:06
Author: ATSF5669

Great pics Joe! What a fantastic way to get to the west coast, railfanning all the way! Wish I was with you!

Date: 06/21/18 05:33
Author: SP8595

Great series! Looks like it ended up being a pretty good morning:}

Date: 06/21/18 06:07
Author: SCKP187

Great shots JB. You caught some beautiful desert railroading and trains and signals. I wanna go there now.
Brian Stevens

Date: 06/21/18 06:37
Author: spider1319

Great series.Thanks for posting and the trip narrative.Bill webb

Date: 06/21/18 07:06
Author: PasadenaSub

Great morning from a great spot. Wonderful coverage and sun!

Rich

Date: 06/21/18 09:01
Author: bobk

Great shots!!

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0513 seconds