Home Open Account Help 276 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Southern/Western Minnesota railroad questions...

Date: 06/21/18 21:02
Southern/Western Minnesota railroad questions...
Author: OldHeadRailroader

When was the line through Worthington which goes under the I-90 overpass abandoned? The ROW is still visible and an old elevator is still standing, but looks unused. Was it RI, CNW or MILW? When did the power plant near Sherburn stop getting coal and is it still operational? A small section of trackage still is in place near I-90. I remember seeing an abandoned wooden trestle near I-90 in Fairmont or one of those towns in southern MN along I-90 but did not see it this last trip, has it been demolished? Why did Soo Line or Milwaukee Road sell their mainline through Fairmont to Fairmont/Harsco?! It still exists east of the plant through the city, which looks abandoned, but is overgrown and looks unused. It's amazing how many ethanol plants and larger coops have exploded in areas like Fairmont, Jackson, Worthington, etc.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/21/18 21:15 by OldHeadRailroader.

Date: 06/22/18 01:47
Re: Southern/Western Minnesota railroad questions...
Author: theshoe

The line you saw in Worthington was the old RI,gone in the 80's The power plant at Sherburn still has a rail line but it's not active And the track in Fairmont does belong to Harsco and used to store their old rail grinding eqp other wize not much going on there any more they moved all their manufacturing opts to SC a few years ago after they had a auction

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0271 seconds