Home Open Account Help 257 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Dinner at the Q Roundhouse

Date: 07/19/18 20:12
Dinner at the Q Roundhouse
Author: santafe199

Earlier this evening we had a very large party (16, I think) of SFe Convention attendees at Naperville get together in nearby Aurora for dinner at a first class restaurant. It's a place which has undeniable appeal to railfans in all facets of the hobby. It is the former CB&Q Roundhouse adjacent to the western terminus of the famous CBQ~BN~BNSF triple main track raceway. I couldn't resist shooting a complete pictorial report of this outing. Until I can get back home and use Photoshop here are a couple of sneak(y) shots from inside this old RH. Oh yeah, it is now called "Two Brothers Roundhouse" at 205 N Broadway. And as an eating establishment I give it a very enthusiastic 'two thumbs up'!

1. TO member Vikkie Montray is chatting across the dinner table with a couple of fans. They have ordered, and her hubby Marc is at another table visiting with some of the other SFe conventioneers. Meanwhile Metra 714 has reached the western end of its commuter run out of Chicago Union Station. This view is from my own table at Two Brothers...

2. A slightly different angle from an empty table next to mine: Metra 179 is dancing the same jig as the 714 above...
Two photos taken @ dinner time from inside the former CB&Q roundhouse in Aurora, IL on July 19, 2018. (no photo-editing)

3. The Roast Beef dinner entree and 'Creme Brulee Cheesecake' dessert gets an A+. I shot a pic of my delicious entree, but I'll wait for some P-shop magic before I post it...

Thanks for the invitation!
Lance Garrels
santafe199

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 07/26/18 12:44 by santafe199.

Date: 07/19/18 20:40
Re: Dinner at the Q Roundhouse
Author: MP4093

Good food, good friends, and good train watching. What a great evening. Thanks for sharing it with us Lance.
Marc and Vikkie.

Posted from Android

Date: 07/19/18 20:56

MP4093 Wrote: > ... a great evening ...

Yes it was!
And I'm glad to see the correct spelling on Vikkie's name. I knew it was different, and took my best shot at it...

Oops... :^/

Date: 07/20/18 06:02
Author: Bob3985

Lance. Nice find and if I remember correctly that was a restaurant that Walter Peyton was involved with a number of years ago that didn't make it and I believe these guys took it over.

Bob Krieger
Cheyenne, WY

Date: 07/20/18 07:42
Author: ntharalson

I wondered if I got in that first photo and I see I did.  Glad it didn't bereak the camera!  LOL

A great evening, did you ever find your lens cap??

Nick Tharalson,
Marion, IA

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/23/18 08:44 by ntharalson.

Date: 07/20/18 07:47

ntharalson Wrote: > ... did you ever find your lens cap?

Nope. I know 100% I left it right in the middle of my table. And I don't know how-the-hell an adult busboy would not know what a lens cap is...

Date: 07/20/18 11:20
Author: switchlock

Bob3985 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
...if I remember correctly that was a restaurant that Walter Peyton was involved with a number of years ago that didn't make it and I believe these guys took it over.

I'll second Bob's memory.  I was there 15ish years ago and remember the Peyton connection.  Neat place.

Date: 07/20/18 11:54
Author: Lackawanna484

Background on the roundhouse as a restaurant

https://www.chibarproject.com/Reviews/Roundhouse/Roundhouse.htm

Date: 07/20/18 12:09
Author: ns1000

santafe199 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ntharalson Wrote: > ... did you ever find your
> lens cap?
>
> Nope. I know 100% I left it right in the middle
> of my table. And I don't know how-the-hell an
> adult busboy would not know what a lens cap is...

It happens....

I lost one chasing a Heritage unit once.  I went back later to where I thought I lost it and never did find it.

Date: 07/20/18 16:41
Author: MP4093

I lost a lens cap, dropped it and it rolled away. I could see it, in a crack 20 feet down the side of the cliff on the highline of the D&SNG. It's still there.

Posted from Android

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.044 seconds