Home Open Account Help 258 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Sneaking up on me!

Date: 07/21/18 05:23
Sneaking up on me!
Author: santafe199

Here's a little cautionary tale for everyone to chew on. During some free time yesterday from the SFe convention at the Sheraton in Naperville I went 'down to the depot' to watch & shoot the commuter train scene and whatever else Amtrak/BNSF might have to offer. I had a startling and maybe even providential experience that shows how easy it is to get hurt or killed around the RR scene. Even someone with a full career in train service and over 4 decades of railfanning experience.

Seeing that a westbound movement lined up I wanted to set up in a spot where I could reach in with a medium telephoto setting and record whatever the station stop provided. As I was walking west along the platform I spotted an inbound headlight. I also spotted a backpack-wearing figure who was (I thought) holding a camera & long lens. Now I'm thinking I would now be able to shoot the train and maybe meet a fellow fan. As that inbound train got closer this figure walked toward the tracks and looked toward the train, exactly as a camera-toting railfan would do. But he was now inside my shooting angle, so I instinctually started to move to my own left =toward a live track= to avoid getting him in my shot. At that instant 32 years of preaching & living up to a time-honored general RR safety rule came into play: "Expect the movement of trains, engines or cars at any time, on any track, in either direction". It was because of that 32 year habit I turned to check behind me and saw, with that familiar electric spine-tingle, an express train sneaking up on me obeying the no-train horn ordinance!

Thus avoided was a possible headline reading something like this: "A 63 year old retired career railroader was clipped & killed today on the Lisle passenger platform". As far as I'm concerned that theoretic headline could/would/should have been extended to add: "...because of complete stupidity"

1. A very QUIET Metra 198 points an oncoming "express" commuter train at speed right through the Lisle suburban station passenger platform area.

2. Metra 8604 (at left) is in control of an inbound push-mode arrival as the 198-led train from above is outbound. "For your safety, please stay behind the yellow line..." (routine automated recording heard through platform speakers at the approach of a train)
2 photos taken in Lisle, IL on July 20, 2018. No photo-editing used.

Thanks for looking!
Lance Garrels
santafe199

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/21/18 17:04 by santafe199.

Date: 07/21/18 06:09
Re: Sneaking up on me!
Author: trainman

Some things are never forgotten. Good thing too !

Posted from Android

Date: 07/21/18 06:17
Author: twjurgens

A good shot despite the trembling that must have been happening for you!

Date: 07/21/18 08:46
Author: OliveHeights

Naperville is an incredibly busy place.  We used to live in Naperville while I was working in the Chicago area. My job either found me in an office behind a computer or working in a yard, where things moved a little slower. Sometimes on my day off, if the weather was nice, I would head down to the depot, find a good spot on a bench and watch the herds of trains go by.  I needed a reminder of what a train looked like out on the main at speed.

Date: 07/21/18 09:58
Author: Milwaukee

Could that be a neighboring station to Naperville?   That doesn't look right for the labeled Naperville station stop.    Hope you and all in attendance at the convention are having a great time.

Date: 07/21/18 10:04
Author: HotWater

Milwaukee Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Could that be a neighboring station to Naperville?

Don't think so.

>   That doesn't look right for the labeled
> Naperville station stop.  

It is. He is standing on the north side platform, and that express train, coming at him, is a westbound. The main Naperville station building is across the track, on the south side.

Hope you and all in
> attendance at the convention are having a great
> time.

Date: 07/21/18 10:35
Author: santafe199

Yesterday I thought HotWater was correct on all counts. But after 'czephyr17' weighed in I had to drive back over on double check. My shots were indeed taken at Lisle. Gotta quit relying on my old fart memory...

Re-posted from Android
(7-20)

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 07/21/18 16:38 by santafe199.

Date: 07/21/18 11:56
Author: PHall

Whats that phrase? "Expect a train anytime from either direction."
Good thing your Spidy sense still works!

Date: 07/21/18 14:55
Author: bmarti7

My brother, who used to live in Chicago, explained that the station buildings on the suburban lines are always on the inbound side for the commuters to wait. Outbound there’s no need as they detrain and head for them cars.

And Lance - stay safe and have fun!

BB

Date: 07/21/18 15:18
Author: HotWater

bmarti7 Wrote:
> My brother, who used to live in Chicago, explained
> that the station buildings on the suburban lines
> are always on the inbound side for the commuters
> to wait. Outbound there’s no need as they
> detrain and head for them cars.
>
> And Lance - stay safe and have fun!
>
> BB

Correct, and that is why the former C&NW lines are left-hand running, since all the station buildings were constructed on the north ( the cold winds from the north) side of the original single track railroad. When additional tracks were required, and added, the "in bound" track remained on the north track, while the "out bound"  additional tracks were on the south side, since the commuters quickly departed the area.

Date: 07/21/18 15:19
Author: Margaret_SP_fan

Whew!!  Lance -- Iam SOOOO glad you had your "Spidy sense" ON and that your 32 years  of RRing had created a truly life-saving habit!  Whew!!

Great photos, by the way!    I, too, hope that everynoe at that Stanta Fe convention is having a great time!

(ALL Quiet Zones should be deleted -- NOW!    Hardly anyone has 20-30 years of railroading haibts that will protect them.)

Date: 07/21/18 15:53
Author: czephyr17

That is definitely the Lisle station, not Naperville.  I lived there many moons ago so instantly recognized it. The Lisle station is actually closer to the Naperville Sheraton than the Naperville station.

Thanks for the safety reminder!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/21/18 16:11 by czephyr17.

Date: 07/21/18 17:23
Author: EsPee1229

Good thing your antenna was up and you sensed the danger. You don't need to be tatered after working all those years.

Date: 07/21/18 17:57
Author: CajonRat

Those big beasts can be real sneaky on welded rail, that's for sure.  I was up on Cajon with Lewis the railroad dog.  Hiked back in the hills for a couple of miles and on the return trip had to cross mains 1 and 2 at an unused dirt crossing.  Long stacker climbing upgrade at a snails pace made for a long wait, as soon as the freddy cleared a westbound  came gliding down the hill at a decent clip.  One step into the gauge would have done me in.  Always, but always expect a train on any track from any direction.  Thanks for the reminder.        

Date: 07/22/18 09:56
Author: BeltJunction

It is true almost all Burlington stations between Chicago and Aurora were on the inbound south side (Main track #3). However, prior to the construction of the present modern era (METRA) depot Lisle was the one exception.  It was located on the north side (Main track #1) and later moved a short distance to what is now the "Museums at Lisle Station Park". museumsatlislestationpark.html 

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/22/18 09:58 by BeltJunction.

Date: 07/22/18 16:53
Author: czephyr17

BeltJunction Wrote:
> prior to the
> construction of the present modern era (METRA)
> depot Lisle was the one exception.  It was
> located on the north side (Main track #1) and
> later moved a short distance to what is now the
> "Museums at Lisle Station
> Park". museumsatlislestationpark.html 

I was living in Lisle in 1978/79 when the old depot was moved to the museum site.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0897 seconds