Home Open Account Help 333 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Need to go from the Emporia Sub to the Fort Scott Sub in Kansas?

Date: 08/12/18 19:25
Need to go from the Emporia Sub to the Fort Scott Sub in Kansas?
Author: docgrommesh

Found out this last weekend my dad (Mike Grommesh) was really good luck!  I have been trying to catch this move for the last few years and everytime I get there it's too late.  I was out showing him a few places in the south KC metro area and we caught this guy just in time to get the drone in the air.  Had a great time dad!  We also got the Southwest Chief coming into Union Station the next day.  I am starting to work on that video so stay tuned! 

The main focus in this video is the BNSF manifest on the Transfer/Connection Track in Olathe, KS. This train is making its way from the Emporia Sub. (westbound) over to the Fort Scott Sub.(southbound). As you are watching the video, look down the street (W. Dennis Ave.) as I am heading against the train (looking west). You will see a westbound BNSF on the Emporia Sub. (Southern Transcon) crossing Dennis Ave.

Video shot with a DJI Mavic Pro on 8-9-18 

Enjoy the View! 

Doc

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 08/12/18 20:27
Re: Need to go from the Emporia Sub to the Fort Scott Sub in Kans
Author: bnsfsd70

Very nice!

It's always neat to find trains running down that connector track, esp. with its interurban heritage.

- Jeff Carlson

Date: 08/13/18 05:33
Author: sums007

Thanks for the video!  What's the distance of the connector?  Looks to be about a mile or so.

Date: 08/13/18 06:50
Author: wag216

Tbat connection was part of the Santa Fe's original line from Topeka  to Kansas City to Chicago. wag216

Date: 08/13/18 07:11
Author: Lee_in_KC

Actually Bill, that was originally a section of the Kansas City, Clinton & Springfield RR... the "Leaky Roof."  You can see the original ATSF line in this 1941 aerial.  It's the line running from the lower left to the upper right.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/13/18 07:24 by Lee_in_KC.

Date: 08/13/18 09:52

bnsfsd70 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Very nice!
>
> It's always neat to find trains running down that
> connector track, esp. with its interurban
> heritage.
>
> - Jeff Carlson

Thanks Jeff,
It really is exciting to see something going on that connector track.  I live in Missouri (about 30-40 min away) so it is harder for me to catch this, but it makes it all the more fun to catch one.

Doc

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/13/18 09:53 by docgrommesh.

Date: 08/13/18 09:54

sums007 Wrote:
> Thanks for the video!  What's the distance of the
> connector?  Looks to be about a mile or so.

Your welcome!
It is about 5,600' measuring on google earth.  So yes just a little over a mile.

Doc  

Date: 08/13/18 11:14
Author: KsPoker

Was a fun day indeed! Here is a photo at track-side right before he got clearance to proceed. He was stopped with a blinking yellow over red, and also red and yellow signs on the right side of the tracks. The maintenance worker pulled down the red sign right before he proceeded.

Mike Grommesh

Date: 08/13/18 15:27

KsPoker Wrote:
> Was a fun day indeed! Here is a photo at
> track-side right before he got clearance to
> proceed. He was stopped with a blinking yellow
> over red, and also red and yellow signs on the
> right side of the tracks. The maintenance worker
> pulled down the red sign right before he
> proceeded.
>
> Mike Grommesh

Great photo dad!

Date: 08/13/18 16:17
Author: ns1000

I enjoyed the video.

Date: 08/14/18 06:46
Author: bmarti7

Great video - I never knew that reservoir was back there behind the trees. Also in the "transportation" theme - the lighter block building, with the communications tower, in the upper portion of frames at :40 and 2:40, is the FAA Kansas City Air Route Traffic Control Center (Kansas City Center). Contollers inside that building keep aircraft from hitting each other over the Midwest 24/7.

BB

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/14/18 07:02 by bmarti7.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0442 seconds