Home Open Account Help 314 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Flying through the Gooseneck!

Date: 08/13/18 17:06
Flying through the Gooseneck!
Author: santafe199

Although I haven’t been into model railroading since 1978 I attended the huge weekend Train Show in downtown Kansas City. It ran Friday, Saturday & Sunday at Bartle Hall in conjunction with the week-long NMRA convention. I saw a few old friends and made some new ones. I also used the opportunity to shoot some with great morning sunlight angles. Some places I never seem to get to until afternoon or later.

I also had a blast showing a young fan I met from Riverside, CA named William Anderson around the West Bottoms. While shooting from that little “nook” under the Broadway (US hwy 169) Bridge we had this Boeing train sneak up on us. It was the first time I had seen Boeing fuselages at this particular location. I knew there would be clearance considerations through this curve, but I was surprised at how severe it was. Without ever having seen KCT rules or special instructions I’m guessing that when a Boeing fuselage passes through this curve no other train is allowed to pass at the same time. I’ll further guess the same condition exists for passing through the Hannibal Bridge in image #5. Can anyone confirm or refute my guesses…

1. BNSF 3891 leads 2 Boeing fuselages through KCT’s “Gooseneck” in Kansas City, MO. In this image that sliver of a boxcar is the rear end of the train now passing through the Hannibal Bridge at the top of the frame.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/13/18 17:30 by santafe199.

Date: 08/13/18 17:06
Re: Flying through the Gooseneck!

2. 3. & 4. Negotiating the sharp left-hand curve at the north end.

Date: 08/13/18 17:07

One more:

5. Here’s the train now “flying” through the Hannibal Bridge up toward Murray Yard.
(Five photos taken August 11, 2018)

Thanks for looking!
Lance Garrels
santafe199

Date: 08/13/18 17:17
Author: Ritzville

Thanks for the interesting shots!

Larry

Date: 08/13/18 19:05
Author: docgrommesh

Great shots and angles Lance!  Yeah I don't think I would want to be in the train to pass um... ;)

Doc

Date: 08/13/18 19:48
Author: SD45

Good coverage.
SD-45

Date: 08/13/18 19:54
Author: jtwlunch

Great shots

Date: 08/13/18 20:38
Author: ATSFSuperChief

Great views of the fuselage hangout over adjoining track. Strong assumption that Special Rule and/or Traffic Instructions give these Boeing Cars proper clearance at any and all tight points. Would be a very expensive mistake to hit a fuselage with anything but an adjoining track train major screwup.

SuperChiefDon

Date: 08/13/18 20:43

Thanks for the compliments, gang! As I was telling another friend in a PM a while ago: This was the first time in a looong time I was able to 'work' the entire West Bottoms and have the photo haul work out so well. For the better part of the 3 day weekend I bounced around from the "Bridge to Nowhere" up to the Hannibal Bridge with a few flanking maneuvers over to KCUS.

jtwlunch Wrote: > ...  Great shots ...
In our phone conversation about the high/wide escapades I was reminded about this short sequence. So I went right to work on the thread. Funny how one thing leads to another in this hobby...

Lance

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/14/18 12:54 by santafe199.

Date: 08/14/18 04:55
Author: ns1000

Thanks for the pics...

Date: 08/14/18 07:13
Author: the_expediter

Please, God...don't dump them in the river again !...(Montana)...nice pics..THX...SHM

Date: 08/14/18 12:49
Author: chiefbuilder

Lance, no question that you were at the right place at the right time.  Great shots!

John Wegner

Date: 08/14/18 23:26
Author: Margaret_SP_fan

Lance --
Those photos are great -- especially #4!  YOu really se how much the tail hangs out over teh side of teh flat car!  Like an articulated steam locomotive -- only much more lateral swing!  Thanks SO much for capturing this and for posting these neat pictures here!

I have never seen a view like the one in your Photos 3 and 4 -- wow!

Yup -- right place, right time!   :)

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0536 seconds