Home Open Account Help 292 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Where is Donner Summit?

Date: 08/14/18 11:07
Where is Donner Summit?
Author: 4451Puff

...More specifically, what location on Donner does the railroad “apex” at? (This is in reference to the current track, not the original one since removed) I’ve heard some say at the east end of the Norden shed, others say just outside the west portal of tunnel 41. Or is the grade on a level plain for the approximate mile between these two locations? T.I.A.

Desmond Praetzel, “4451 Puff”

Date: 08/14/18 11:29
Re: Where is Donner Summit?
Author: EtoinShrdlu

According to the SP' 1990s profile charts,

> I’ve heard some say at the east end of the Norden shed,

yes

> others say just outside the west portal of tunnel 41

no.

Date: 08/14/18 11:54
Author: dmaffei

My guess is Tunnel 6 on original main line and Norden on the new main line. WAF will know or JLY for sure...

Date: 08/14/18 13:41
Author: weather

On track one, the original Transcon. route of 1867, Tunnel Six is at M.P.  193.7 at  Donner Summit and it peaks in the middle of the 1600 bore on the asending 1.8% grade east of Norden. Wth #1 track removed in 1995, , all traffic is on #2 track built in 1926 going thru the "Big Hole"  10,500 feet long under Mt. Judah.  right at MP 194.  The eastbound grade levels out just east of the Norden Snowsheds and is at a 1.1% descending grade at the western entrance.  U.P. Roseville Div.  Meteorologist Mike Pechner

First image:  Track one with Chinese Wall and the Reno Fun Train moving westbound thru snowshed followed by T-6. Second photo is westbound train on Track One with the afore mentioned snowshed  in the midde of the picture just before the entrance to T-6, the original Donner Summit Tunnel.  I was a free-lance photogrpher at Associted Press San Francisco when i did this shot. Accompanying is the caption on the left side of the image.  This is who it was sent via wire-photo on a cylindracal drum which was scanned as it revolved. Lke a fax machine except for pictures. Both Photos Dopyright, 2016,
"All Righrts Reserved."

Date: 08/14/18 14:03
Author: stash

Nice news photos Mike. Old school way of sending pictures.

Posted from Android

Date: 08/14/18 18:04
Re: Donner Summit
Author: timz

SP's detailed profile showed 3500 ft of level track.
In reality part of that would have been the vertical curve
from the 1.7% approaching Norden from the west,
but there was probably 2000+ feet of level.

As I recall, elevation at the grade crossing just west
of Tunnel 41 is within a foot or two of the maximum.
Remember the first wood snowshed west of there?
The westward descent started somewhere west
of the west end of that shed.

Track 1 summit was on the curve just west of Tunnel 6.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/14/18 18:13 by timz.

Date: 08/14/18 20:09
Author: 1ST_OUT

Current UP MP is 191.6  on the #2 track. When running light power it is real easy to find the exact point of tip over.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/17/18 21:51 by 1ST_OUT.

Date: 08/14/18 21:22
Author: timz

Turns out there is 3500 ft of just about level. From the east end of the turntable shed to the grade xing west of Tunnel 41, elevation is constant within a foot or so.

Date: 08/14/18 21:28
Author: wa4umr

This is from a June 2011 timetable.  It shows between East and West Norden.  

John

Date: 08/15/18 18:35
Author: EtoinShrdlu

Slightly higher resolution version, using the SP's charts from the 90s. The only thing which has changed are the mileposts. The track levels out noticeably after you exit the east end of the showshed at Norden.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.045 seconds