Home Open Account Help 273 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Kansas City motels

Date: 08/15/18 09:40
Kansas City motels
Author: march_hare

I think this has been posted before, but I can't get the serch function to find it:

I will be staying in downtown Kansas City for a few days in September, and will be using the KC Amtrak station.  Does anybody have recommendations for downtown hotels that either:  1) are particularly convenient to the station, or  2)  reasonably close to the station and also well situated for watching rail traffic?  Lazy viewing fromt he hotel window would be a big plus, but I'd settle for a location that's walking distance from good viewing locations.

Sorry if this is a repeat, but like I say, I can't seem to find earlier discussions of this topic.

Date: 08/15/18 09:59
Re: Kansas City motels
Author: jointauthority

If you want to rub elbows with tons of railroaders drive to Lenexa and stay in the clarion off the interstate.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 08/15/18 10:05
Author: TexasChief

The Westin is across the street from Union Station and certain rooms you will get a nice view of the trains coming through Union Station.

Date: 08/15/18 12:23
Author: WichitaJct

I believe Sheraton took over the Hyatt hotel that's a couple of blocks east of the Westin. Ask for a room high up and facing north and you can watch all the rail traffic that passes KCUS. 

TexasChief Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The Westin is across the street from Union Station
> and certain rooms you will get a nice view of the
> trains coming through Union Station.

Date: 08/15/18 12:24
Author: bmarti7

WichitaJct Wrote:
> I believe Sheraton took over the Hyatt hotel
> that's a couple of blocks east of the Westin. Ask
> for a room high up and facing north and you can
> watch all the rail traffic that passes KCUS. 
>
> TexasChief Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > The Westin is across the street from Union
> Station
> > and certain rooms you will get a nice view of
> the
> > trains coming through Union Station.

Both these work.

BB

Date: 08/15/18 12:41
Author: starsandbars

stay at the union ststaion westin , you can walk to the track side of union station to watch mainline action or take the street car ( Free) to the river and see some bottom action 

Date: 08/15/18 16:00
Author: kbmiflyer

Union Station Westin is best bet, but there is a new option Home 2 Suites is just on the north side of the tracks also on Main street.

While not close enough for rail view, the Fairfield inn is only a few blocks up main street just past the WWI museum and is faily inexpensive.  This is where I have stayed in the past, it is also where the Amtrak crews tend to overnight.

Date: 08/15/18 16:05
Author: atx_railfan

Union Station Westin is probably the best option for this. I just stayed at the Hotel Indigo downtown at Baltimore & 11th, which is 1 block away from the free streetcar line to Union Station. Very convenient. 

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/15/18 16:07 by atx_railfan.

Date: 08/16/18 13:08
Author: march_hare

Thanks to all for the info.  Looks like there must be a convention in town, since both the Sheraton and the Westin are booked solid.

Date: 08/16/18 14:00
Author: Lackawanna484

march_hare Wrote:
> Thanks to all for the info.  Looks like there
> must be a convention in town, since both the
> Sheraton and the Westin are booked solid.

You might call the hotel and ask. Sometimes conventions will place a hold on a thousand rooms until 45 days before the event, and then release half of any unsold rooms. And release more at the 15 day Mark.

Posted from Android

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.054 seconds