Home Open Account Help 264 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > It sure looks different...

Date: 08/15/18 11:51
It sure looks different...
Author: santafe199

…in morning sunshine!

Here we are on Kansas City’s famous W 27th St “bridge to nowhere” looking about due north. Since coming back home to Kansas in 2010 and repatriating myself to all of my former shooting haunts I’ve taken scads of photographs from this spot. But living 2 hours to the west I never seem to get into KC in time to utilize the morning sun. But by staying overnight for the National Train Show this past weekend I was able to do a little something about that…

1. BNSF 7991 leads a unit tank train toward the Ft Scott Sub at BN Crossing Interlocking in Kansas City, MO on August 12, 2018.

Thanks for looking!
Lance Garrels
santafe199

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/15/18 11:52 by santafe199.

Date: 08/15/18 12:05
Re: It sure looks different...
Author: millerdc

Probalby best spot in KC to watch trains.  I have seen as many a four at one time.  Just to the right of your photo is the old KCT roundhouse and turntable that has been restored.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/15/18 12:06 by millerdc.

Date: 08/15/18 12:23
Author: Ritzville

Looks like an interesting spot to take pictures.

Larry

Date: 08/15/18 13:09
Author: bmarti7

Great post Sir Lance!
Let's see if I can remember.......
 - The track diverging to the right (east) used to carry the Frisco and Katy passenger trains going south and east (Frisco to Springfield) to/from KCUS.
 - The "middle" viaduct is headed across the Kaw River for KCK and used to carry the UP and CRI&P trains to/from KCUS including the City of St. Louis, Portland Rose, Golden State Limited, Twin Star Rocket and Imperial. Also  
    the Mopac Missouri River Eagle to Omaha
 - The east/west crossovers at BN interlocking carry the current Amtrak 3 and 4, and the BN interlocking also sees the MIssouri River Runners twice a day as they turn around. In the past, all the ATSF passenger trains going
   east/west and south banged these diamonds
 - The top viaduct is the newer BNSF flyover
 - The tracks to the left of the BNSF 7991 are headed for Santa Fe Interlocking and Argentine
 - Blocked by the viaducts from this angle, the passenger main from KCUS that hugs the bluffs and used to carry CB & Q trains to Omaha, Lincoln, Billings and Chicago.

One of the best locations  - thanks for sharing.

BB

Date: 08/15/18 14:12
Author: NSTopHat

Lance;

I've been to KC twice, and I love shooting there. Can't wait to go back again sometime soon. As always, great shot!

Regards,
Russ

Date: 08/15/18 22:04
Author: 3rdswitch

Yes, KC is a great city to railfan. Amazing thing about the arial is no trains?
JB

Date: 08/16/18 01:14
Author: wpjones

It is a great place to photo from. But. I have been trapped there more than once buy a UP train coming of the high line going to the Fort Scott sub. They will block the crossing by the old Terminal RR round house. Once I was trapped there for almost 2 hrs. when I really needed to leave.
Steve

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0361 seconds