Home Open Account Help 319 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Oregon RR question

Date: 09/14/18 12:46
Oregon RR question
Author: CPRR

What railroad owns the line from Woodburn, OR to Stayton, OR? Does it see trains all the way? I would think if it had enough traffic, it would be a perfect short line, with dinner trains.

Date: 09/14/18 13:59
Re: Oregon RR question
Author: wjpyper

Albany & Eastern Railroad operates Santiam Excursion Trains. Go online to http://www.albanyeastern.com I don't think that there is currently a line operating from Woodburn to Stayton.

Bill Pyper
Salem, Oregon

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/14/18 14:01 by wjpyper.

Date: 09/14/18 14:15
Author: ST2K

The RR you are thinking of is the "Willamette Valley Railroad"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Willamette_Valley_Railway
which is run by one of the Root Brothers. The underlying ownership is the UP
whose lease term prohibit passenger trains, steam engines and rail speeders.
ST2K

Date: 09/14/18 15:03
Author: callum_out

The map is confusing because it shows no track in Stayton which used or not I believe is still in place.

Out

Date: 09/14/18 16:04
Author: wp1801

There are those dreamers who would like to see a dinner train on that line powered by the SP mogul that is preserved in Woodburn.

Date: 09/14/18 16:14
Author: Railbaron

Willamette Valley Railroad, old SP Stayton Branch. I doubt they go beyond Mount Angel and I'm not sure if rails still reach Stayton.

Date: 09/14/18 16:49

Railbaron Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Willamette Valley Railroad, old SP Stayton Branch.
> I doubt they go beyond Mount Angel and I'm not
> sure if rails still reach Stayton.

According to Google satellite view, they go all the way to Stayton. There are industry there, with three spurs. The track has had new ties put in when the line. On the ground photos have rust on the southern end. The wye on the southern end had tank cars on them.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 09/14/18 17:04
Author: Jeff

To try to be more exact the location is West Stayton, a little bit out of town.  Did serve a large vegetable cannery/freeze operation, may still.  Jeff

Date: 09/14/18 19:31
Author: roustabout

Railbaron Wrote:
> Willamette Valley Railroad, old SP Stayton Branch.
> I doubt they go beyond Mount Angel and I'm not
> sure if rails still reach Stayton.

The rails are all still there but there's nothing happening (line is embargoed) beyond Silverton.  The south-most customer is a fertilizer plant half way between Mt Angel and Silverton.  Almost all the railroad's activity is in Woodburn itself.

Date: 09/14/18 19:47
Author: Railbaron

Thanks for all the updates. I had followed it on Google maps and it showed the rails all the way to Stayton but I wasn't sure how old that image was so wasn't sure about the rails reaching Stayton still.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/14/18 19:55 by Railbaron.

Date: 09/14/18 19:57
Author: funnelfan

David Root's Willamette Valley RR operates the line from Woodburn to Stayton. Currently the south end of the railroad beyond Silverton is embargoed due to insuffcient carloadings. The southernmost active customer is at Downs north of Silverton with some car storage happening between Downs and Silverton. Historically in the history of the shortline there were customers at Pratum and Stayton that shipped or recieved by rail.

Ted Curphey
Ontario, OR

Date: 09/14/18 21:26

So we’re does WVR locomotives live? Trackage rights on the UP main to Woodburn

Posted from iPhone

Date: 09/15/18 06:21
Author: funnelfan

The locomotives are kept at a cannery complex on the east side of Woodburn. There is also a transload facility there.

CPRR Wrote:
> So we’re does WVR locomotives live? Trackage
> rights on the UP main to Woodburn
>
> Posted from iPhone

Ted Curphey
Ontario, OR

Date: 09/15/18 10:06
Author: ST2K

Once in while the locomotives can be found in the north leg of the "Y" in Woodburn.
ST2K.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0487 seconds