Home Open Account Help 378 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Getting it on and getting out of town

Date: 10/15/18 06:47
Getting it on and getting out of town
Author: BrianA

Saturday morning 10-13-18 I caught this eastbound empty grainer led by BNSF 6893 rolling through Easton, WA just off Stampede Pass and noted how the train seemed to "whine" which was especially noted as the train got on it and took off midway through the video.  Guessing it is the sound of the wheels on the rail.  It did sound neat though, not like jointed rail, but that is yet to come.

Brian Ambrose
Renton, WA

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 10/15/18 07:12
Re: Getting it on and getting out of town
Author: DaveL

Next time you hear that whine, go look at the rails as a rail grinder has pass by recently.
Great video, thanks for the whole train !

Date: 10/15/18 11:13
Author: czephyr17

Yes, freshly ground rail provides one of the newer sounds of of modern railroading.  I personally like it, it gives you a sense of whether the train is speeding up or slowing down, and tends to tone down some of the imperfections such as flat wheels.  I have heard the "humming" sounds riding Amtrak as well.  I still like prefer the sounds of the old jointed rail, of course, but that is becoming something for the ages (as am I) so I love it when anyone can record those sounds.

Date: 10/15/18 11:41
Author: BrianA

Yes, humming is a better word for the sound made.  Of the 6 videos I shot this past weekend, this is the only one on welded rail, all the others on jointed rail that can still be found on the Stampede and Yakima Valley Subs.  There is quite a bit of it still in place (and some newly found jointed rail on the main at Prosser I didn't know was still there) so you can still watch and listen to main line trains on jointed rail for at least the next year or so in Washington state.
Brian

Date: 10/15/18 12:14
Author: TomPlatten

That sound could be the dynamic brakes if the train was headed downgrade!

Date: 10/15/18 16:59
Author: BoostedFridge

The empty hoppers really amplify that humming sound.  

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0356 seconds